Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Puppy and gunshots

Never had an issue in the past getting a dog used to gun shots but this new one is skidish. She's 3 months old, never abused or around guns before. I'd like some methods from those of you that do it. Thanks.

• Like 1

Can I assume you are using a blank gun away from the dog, then slowly moving closer? Plant a pigeon, put the dog on point (or have the dog see a bird), flush the bird and shoot the blank away from the dog. Then slowly work the gun closer. I'm no expert but that is the normal approach.

Started mine out in the dessert playing with the quail wings on a string(still her favorite game). Had my wife start firing the training pistol from about 200 yards away, slowly working her way into us. By the end of our third trip out, my wife was standing next to me. Never an issue.

I put my ear muffs on her (she got used to them) used a 22 short, had her in the back yard I started around 50 feet away, giving her treats and attention after every shot, and worked til she was sitting next to me. She's fine with the muffs. I removed the muffs and held one ear against my leg and covered the other with my hand. That's when it all went wrong. Did I rush it? I've taught 4 other dogs this way and all have been fine.

When my dogs are pups I keep 2 steel food bowls side by side. When its feeding time I bang them together multiple times loudly! They associate the loud banging with a good thing (food) and I never have gunshy problems.

• Like 1

Introduced my lab to gunfire in same manner as speedygoss.

Additionally, at 9 months old on the dove opener, I laid his bowl down to feed him in the desert at first light and walked away 100 yards as he was eating and fired away from his direction. He came running over, I praised him, let him go back to his bowl, and fired again.

That was it, he loves loud bangs and food.

Just for a family dog.... A cap gun followed by a treat should do the trick.

Or just try to incorporate the cap gun into his favorite activities.. Good Luck.

Loud noise at home associated to good things food and treats. Outside its about the chase birds ducks something rewarding. Mine I blast over its head all good but clap of thunder no beuno.