Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

point restrictions

My hunting partner and I year after year discuss the issue of point restrictions on hunting Arizona animals. I assume most hunters would be in favor of putting restrictions on harvest requirements. I really don't see the downfall of this except for maybe the first couple years. I realize that "just for fun" hunters or meat hunters probably wouldn't approve, but do their odds for success really go down after a couple years of a restriction being put in place? Anyway I'm sure there are a lot of pros and cons I am not taking in to account. Feedback is definately what I am searching for. Congrats to all the sucessful hunters, I have been seeing some very nice deer harvested!

I THINK THERE SHOULD BE POINT RESTRICTIONS ON RIFLE AND PERHAPS MZL LOADER HUNTS AND LET ARCHERY SEASON STAY AS "ANY ANTLERED DEER"...MY .02 ;)

I am against point restrictions. I believe that typically a spike buck is an inferior gened buck that usually will end up being a smaller mature buck than a 1.5 yr old that started out as a forky or even 3 pt. If we restrict the shooting of spikes, we are preserving the inferior gene'd bucks.

I agree in the fact a inferior buck has a more likely chance to breed, but you don't think a spike buck has the potential to make or exceed the 100 in. mark? I guess I didn't realize a yearling had the potential to be a three by. I am exhausted to the fact of watching hunters pull spikes and forks out of the hunting areas, when I feel all of these deer have the potential to be a nice trophy. Thank you for the input.

I have mixed feelings about point restrictions. We've had them in effect here in NM for two years; but we've dropped them for next season. Why? Well, according to most folks you talk to, there have been too many fork horned deer left laying in the field after the hunter has discovered his deer is illegal. Others cite the same feeling as mentioned above, spikes and forks are genetically inferior and no matter how old the buck is, he will never be a "trophy" buck.

Pensylvania has shown that they have increased trophy quality with point restrictions. Is that your goal? To have more 90" or better bucks in a few years? Why is it important to the rest of us to have more quality deer? Or is it an attempt to just have more bucks? Is the buck to doe ratio out of skew enough to cause damaging results in a particular unit? If not, is there any reason, other than trophy quality, to have antler point restrictions? Obviously there are a lot of questions that should be answered before I'm convinced one way or the other. Maybe Amanda or Deernut can tell us the benefits of restricting hunters to a more stringent bag limit?

I'll tell you this: Most of us have our own point restrictions, but mine differ. When I'm lucky enough to draw a rifle tag in AZ, you can bet I'm not blowing my tag on a dink buck. However, if I get a chance at a little buck next week with my recurve, you can bet I'm going to try my best to take him down. Is that wrong? Is that any different than allowing a 12 year old to take any antlered buck or make him hold out for a 3X3? I think all of us need to answer some of these questions before we impose it on others!

Kevin

if we put antler restrictions on, i wont be able to shoot any bucks!!!

plus, in all honesty, i think the people that are more tha casual deer hunter and not the glass em up with $1,800 binoculars and shoot them with $3,000 rifles would not abid by that anyway.

I do believe as a whole, the younger bucks are generally easier to locate and kill for those that fall into that "whatever I see" category. I feel that it is important for a young first time jounior hunter and maybe even a first time adult hunter to have the inital success. I also feel that there is something relative to the numbers of younger bucks 2x's and spikes, that do effect the overal allowance to have more mature bucks, "trophy" bucks available, but the "trophys" are still out there. And I agree that it is for most of us a personal goal set. It just take a little more due diligence and effort, which some are not wanting to put out. I too agree it could create the possibility of field havoc with some un-claimed buck cacasses.

Then you have the "coveted" hard to draw a tag issue to contend with in your mind. 1st buck you encounter? You wait, you wait, and then wait some more. Do you fill it just to fill it? Do you stick to your determination and hold out? then make that last minute decision on # of points, size, etc. Last day? I've made every attempt to stand by my laurels. It's tough when confronted with that decision. But last days rifle I have made the "fill the Tag" determination. A spike, nice one though, with my bow. Rifle nothing less than a 2x. I don't feel there is a clear line on this issue that can be drawn. It is for a lot of us, a personal thing. Actually, all hunters. Good controversial, pro and con topic. I have seen some good ones so far. I'm certain there are plenty of small ones. But hunters are still showing success! Hope other will have with the season still to finish. I'm still trying!!

Later, Will

4X

I have to say I am confused as to why any hunter would want more restrictions. Usually, most of us are mad as heck at the G&F for the restrictions we already have. I do not think pt restrictions are a good idea, I think hunters should have the freedom to choose to shoot the best animal they can. I don't do much rifle hunting anymore, but I am seriously addicted to hunting with my bow, and killing any deer with a bow is tough enough without any pt. restrictions.

I must say that I have come home to a nice bowl of tag soup before, simply because I could not find the right animal for me that season. Didnt fill a bull tag last year, and a mule tag this year. But, that is what happens sometimes when you chase a trophy. You have to be prepared to come home with nothing, but it should still be a hunters choice to do so, not because he has to.

Twoguns

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far. I am truly suprised at the overwhelming support of no restrictions so far.

Some more food for thought, what about a couple units with a point restrictions. Although I don't really like this, it would allow choices for people. I think a lot of people are bambi killers because they don't want to come home and tell their friends, No I didn't get a deer. With a point restriction, that pressure would no longer be there to shoot a spike or a forkie just for the sake of killing.

Wouldn't it seem that after a few years, your chances at finding a mature buck would be much better. By the same token it seems it would improve the chances for a monster. I think even your casual hunter would truly be thrilled to take a nice animal, but it is to easy to shoot the first thing and that as you all know is usually not the trophy we are looking for.

As for youth hunters, I have a few of my own and I would like to see them take nice animals and will teach them to pass on dinks if they want a chance on a trophy. Although I certainly wouln't have a problem with restrictions execpt for junior's hunts.

Thanks again to all who have responded so far, very interesting.

"I have to say I am confused as to why any hunter would want more restrictions. Usually, most of us are mad as heck at the G&F for the restrictions we already have. I do not think pt restrictions are a good idea, I think hunters should have the freedom to choose to shoot the best animal they can. "

Twoguns I agree 100%. It has never ceased to amaze me how the most avid hunters -- and fishermen, too -- want more restrictions on themselves. If someone chooses to shoot a spke or forked horn and is happy with it, the more power to him. That's his tag and his choice. If someone wants to hold out for larger antlers, that's fine, too. The big whitetails running around in the archery javelina hunts should be proof enough that trophy whitetails are out there and can are smarter than we dumb humans. We don't need point restrictions.

Bill Quimby

Bill, that pretty much sums up what I attempted to relate in my long winded reply! IT SHOULD ULTIMATELY COME DOWN TO AN INDIVIDUAL'S CHOICE TO MAKE. If I can help it, I will fill my tag. Maybe at the minute opportunity, but I will do everything I can to not stink it up!

Have a good HOLIDAYS ALL,

Will

4X

Im in favor of the point restrictions, but it would only be fair to do all hunt rifle. muzz. and archery. and maybe keep the juniors only hunt open to any antlered deer. We have all shot enough little deer in our days and i think we need to let them grow to get better genetics and better antler growth around the state.