Sign in to follow this  
Arrowsniper

.270 ammo recommendations

+1 on accubond. If you hand load, a 140 gr. accubond with h4831sc is awesome. I like to load them long enough to touch the lands.

I'll just throw this out for consideration.

Several years back, I drew one of those "North of the ditch" tags, and wanted everything perfect. So I went out and bought several boxes of different premium fifty dollar .270 ammo,

While I was at Walley world, I also picked up a few boxes of the cheap stuff, Federal blue box 130s for $13 a box to use for standing, off shoulder practice.

I set up a target at 400 yards and started shooting groups. Guess what out shot everything? That's right, the cheap stuff was grouping under 2 inches at 400 yards.

Basicly, out of my .270, a 70s vintage Rem 700 topped with a Kahles TDS, the more expensive the ammo was, the worse it shot.

I took the Federal 130s ( I think they load Sierra Game kings in the cheap stuff) to the Bab and took my deer with one perfect shot at 400 yds.

• Like 1

Bought a 270 WSM last year for a speed goat hunt. Sighted it in at 100yds. with 2 dif rounds. 130 grn fusion=1" group 150 grn winchester bonded = 1 1/4 group. 10 shots to dial it in with new nikon monarch 2.5x12 mil dot. Went on the hunt and found a 13" buck at 530 yrds. got down in prone. bi-pods on rifle. 2 guys watching and made the shot of my life. 130s were the choice. Bullet dropped approx. 9 inches and took out both lungs and top of heart. Cross hairs were even with back of buck. I was amazed at the flat shooting ability of this rifle. It is and will always be MY NEW BEST FRIEND. Just saying.