Sign in to follow this  
Arrowsniper

.270 ammo recommendations

I need ammo for my .270

Any recommendations? Primarily for deer.

I've always been a Winchester/Remington ammo but maybe I should venture to other brands? Accuracy being the key.

I am interested in recommendations as well. I have been using the inexpensive Rem core lokt ammo. It has served me well with shots up to 300 yrds. I have taken two nice bucks that dropped in their tracks. But, in practice I have seen some inconsistencies with POI that had me scratching my head. It seems quality control with the cheaper ammo could be better. I know there is some better quality off the shelf ammo that won't break the bank.

I just picked up a .270 this last year and have been shooting the Hornady SST's in 130gr. So far I have only shot one javelina but the bullet performed perfectly. I have shot them out to 400yds on the range and they perform pretty good. The price on them is not bad too.

• Like 1

I just picked up a .270 this last year and have been shooting the Hornady SST's in 130gr. So far I have only shot one javelina but the bullet performed perfectly. I have shot them out to 400yds on the range and they perform pretty good. The price on them is not bad too.

This is what I reload for all my 270. I would say this is a good choice as well as some of the federal premium bullets

+1 on the Hornady's SST. I have shot a few deer with this round and was very impressed. Having said that, I would recommend buying a few different ones Federal, Hornady, Fusion and see which ones hold the tightest groups with the same gr. weight. Every gun is different.

Barnes TSX,TTSX... This is in the long range discussion. . How far are you wanting to shoot this .270

I had a pronghorn and a sheep tag in the same year a few years back. Needless to say, I need my rifle shooting better than ever before. Honestly, I had a hard time finding something off the shelf that would shoot as good as the good ol Remington Core Lokt, 130 grain in MY gun. It just likes that stuff. I tried the $40 ammo too and some of it sprayed all over the place compared to the cheap stuff. Other stuff performed similarly but cost over twice as much. With thin skinned critters like goats and sheep, bullet performance was more than adequate. Test it all, see what your gun likes. Once you find one, stick with it!

• Like 2

If you can reload then get the 150 grain Nosler accubond long range for your .270. Lights out on anything we've killed out to 1000+ yards.

HSM Berger vld's if your gun has te right twist rate and they shoot well that would be a great choice.

• Like 2

Sierra match grade, 135 grain. Best bang for your buck. No pun intended.

Barnes 110gr TTSX, outstanding down range weight retention and awesome groupings from 100yd all the way out to 300+ every time. Hornady Superformance 130 gr SST and Federal Fusion have worked well but it boils down to what your rifle likes to throw down range. Every rifle has its favorite so it's best to determine what that load is. Happy shooting

Ernest

Thanks. I'll try some different ones and see what flys!

I'll probably stick to 400 unless something big should distract my thinking, but only as a last resort for sure!