Sign in to follow this  
Half

Is there any trad shooters kill a lot in AZ?

50 yards is cake. :) its the 60s and 70s that kill me I cant push out that far with confidence. In Kansas when I lived there it was 15 yards 25 tops no problem. Then I moved to Alaska and that all changed.

50 yards is cake. :) its the 60s and 70s that kill me I cant push out that far with confidence. In Kansas when I lived there it was 15 yards 25 tops no problem. Then I moved to Alaska and that all changed.

Are you living in AK?

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

Oneshot do you shoot vanes off of your widow? Do you use a rest? Or high knock point? How do you like shooting a lower poundage bow? I used to shoot 80lbs and then 70 now 60 but I am thinking of going to 50 and I am not excited about losiing trajectory. I still shoot 700 gr arrows and the drop from 80 to 60 was a lot. Do you shoot like a 420 g arrow? how do you like the performance of your rig? on game? how far do you shoot well? sorry I am all questions. Really nice buck by the way!

I know killing doesnt measure success to some.

Feathers when it's clear, vanes if a chance of rain.. I shoot off the shelf... One over-two under, nock at the corner of my mouth... I've shot around 50lbs my whole life, I ordered this BW at this weight so I could use it till I dropped... Instictive shooter....

Performance is great, the BW is smoooth shooting, kills just fine...

I have lost some range, I just dont practice over 30yards much any more, it seems over the past few years either I have a deer right in my lap(5yards or less) or 30plus yards, so this year I'm toying with the idea of putting a single fixed pin sight on my Bow (to extend my range with confidence) and using some of Dr. Ashby's findings (over-all heavyer arrow weight, single-bevel b'head,etc) to increase terminal proformance...

I have killed many Deer at 10yards, from tree-stand or ground brushblinds, but mainly shoot at 25yards and under at this time...

Nice! I never had vanes fly well except off of a flipper rest or with a high nock and 3 under. Im going to break out my 50 lb grizz and tune it with some 420 grian gold tiips and see if I can get 60 dialed in. I have a pronghorn hunt coming up and I am hopeing for a good chance.. The wizzard is a really cool single pin adjustable sight that works well and also gap shooting is cool. The sight Cameron hanes uses is one you can look up also.

I dont have any trouble getting diale din at 50 and under but i would like to streatch it out some. When i shot 80 lbs it was easy but now holding anchor is harder. well good luck brother! let meknow if you ever need any help or advice or whatever.

I have 2 big game kills with a stickbow. I wish I hunted with it more but it's hard to practice with it when everyone around you has compounds.

post-10746-0-60927000-1400274883_thumb.jpg

post-10746-0-12719400-1400274892_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good thread. I grew up shooting a recurve, but haven't shot one in a long time. My dad gave me his Howard Hill longbow. It's a great setup with cedar shafts and turkey vanes, bear broadheads. I would love to shoot something with it.

• Like 1

Really Cool Bmart! I have been shooting my recurve my whole life. 30 plus years, I still have my 76er from when I was 12, LOL. I know its hard to hang out with other shooters who dont understand why you would want to hunt with traditional gear. I never made the transistion to modern archery so I rarely fit in at 3d shoots n stuff. I do encourage anyone interested to try it. especially on pigs and jack rabits.

I want to extend an invitation to anyone who is interested in our year round over the counter javalina tag or winter Muleys down here in Yuma, as I would love to go chase bears and white tails any place in the state. it would be awesome to hang out with a few Trad shooters.

• Like 1

I haven't shot my recurve I a couple years but I killed this pig in 2011 with my Brackenbury. After I kill my 350 bull this year I am going to retire the compound and hunt exclusively with my recurve. My goal is to take the BiG 10 with a recurve.

post-5591-0-75229000-1400559454_thumb.jpg

Really Cool Bmart! I have been shooting my recurve my whole life. 30 plus years, I still have my 76er from when I was 12, LOL. I know its hard to hang out with other shooters who dont understand why you would want to hunt with traditional gear. I never made the transistion to modern archery so I rarely fit in at 3d shoots n stuff. I do encourage anyone interested to try it. especially on pigs and jack rabits.

I want to extend an invitation to anyone who is interested in our year round over the counter javalina tag or winter Muleys down here in Yuma, as I would love to go chase bears and white tails any place in the state. it would be awesome to hang out with a few Trad shooters.

Year round Javalina? I didn't know that, I'll look into that. I wish I could find those Feral Hogs, I would chase those with my stickbow all year.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

These are all killed with my recurve (except the Coues sheds mounted to a plaque under the two Coues and the rainbow(19lbs)...

I have alot more, but they were either given to a Sports Shop or friends in NY...

post-1378-0-69427800-1400594621_thumb.jpg

NIce Bow one shot! I saw a fatty 42" come off the Keni in 2002. It was released and a repro made.

I am green with envy your coues bucks brother. Nice!

Bmart Yes the hunt is year round and can be exciting. The Feral hogs, from what I have heard is they are in Havasu and live in a park area where you really cant hunt them. That is all I know about that.

If you call Game and fish you can ask about the Mowhak valley Javalina hunt and get info for the tag. It is over the counter.

This is a really cool thread thanks yall. I will have to post a few picks of my own later!