jamaro

what kind of smoke pole is this?

Hey Everybody...

Can someone give me a few examples of a muzzleloader that would fit the following description????

The more accurate the better... I have a muzzleloader but it is an in-line...

Restricted Muzzleloader Firearms: Any muzzle loading rifle (including a smoothbore flintlock or musket) using open sights in which the

charge and projectile are loaded through the muzzle. Only black powder, Pyrodex, or an equivalent substitute may be used. Use of in-line

ignition, pelleted powder, sabots, belted bullets, multiple projectiles and scopes are illegal. Youth hunters must provide hunter education

certificate number on application.

Jason

It means the old type muzzleloader with a hammer and a percussion cap on the outside. No shotgun primers. No bolts or break opens. Loose powder meaning no pellets and no sabots meaning no plastic casings on the outside or bottom of the bullet. All lead or round balls with a fabric patch. No scopes meaning open or peep sites only. Brand such as Hawkins.

Does that make sense?

Travis

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/mzTraditional.php

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/rifles.htm

With a patched round ball accuracy is going to suffer, 75 yards would be a decent shot. It looks like you could also shoot maxi balls or other conicals and they will improve accuracy somewhat, the more you shoot the rifle you will know the loads and increase your accuracy. I am sure there are other people on here with way more experience than me and can help you out, maybe me too.

I shoot 350 gr maxi hunters out of my T C Grey Hawk. It has a offset hammer and I shoot loose powder with percussion caps. I am comfortable out to 100 yds with it.

My dad and I both have .54 caliber percusion cap muzzleloaders. we both usually just shoot round balls and can keep a pretty good group at 100 yds. The only thing I have ever killed with mine was a javie but my dad shot a deer last year with his at I think about 90 yds and it blew a hole through both shoulders that you could just about put your fist through

J-

When I was in med school in IA, I shot a buck at 200 yards with a cabelas hawken 50 cal, went through the white neck patch through the heart, left lung and broke 3 ribs left side before stopping in the hide. I used 90 grains of loose grain pdr and a 300 gr bullet. Open sights also, when I sighted it in I sighted in at 100 and 150, however I did miss the biggest whitetail I have ever seen at 10 yards due to a hangfire(cap discharged, powder did not for 4-5 seconds, scared the you know what out of me even though I knew it was coming!) Traditionals are a blast to shoot but are a bugger to clean! AG

I did a lot of hunting in Texas and Arizona years ago with three caplock and flintlock "Kentucky" longrifles that I built with locks and barrels from Dixie Gun Works. I made my own stocks from slabs of maple and walnut. After shooting 20 to 25 Texas Hill Country whitetails (the limit was four per year), an Arizona mule deer and three or four javelina with them I can tell you round balls are not as efficient as mini balls. You will need to shoot both in your rifle to see what it shoots best.

Very slow twists shoot balls best; bullets shoot best in barrels with faster twists. Don't expect much accuracy past 100 yards. Trajectory is a like a rainbow. For deer the size of our Arizona whitetails and mule deer a .45-caliber is the smallest you want. A .50-caliber is better.

Muzzleloaders are extremely efficient hunting tools. I shot a bison in Colorado with an original .45-caliber Alex Henry rifle made in Scotland in the mid-1800s that was loaned to me by engraver Lynton McKenzie. It was designed to shoot 500-grain cast bullets with paper patches at about 1600 fps, which is close to a .45-70's numbers. My shot was about 40 yards and it dropped the bull in its tracks.

In Africa, the early British hunters used caplock and flintlock muzzleloaders of extremely large caliber and killed everything -- including elephants -- with them.

Bill Quimby

What state are you hunting? Almost sounds like CO--But In-lines are legal there. But the rest rings true. In CO a Powerbelt bullet is not a sabot. I did not see anything in what you wrote about no shotshell primes allowed. I know they are specifically legal in CO. I actually have one that uses a small rifle primer. I shoot a 54 cal CVA Stalker Rifle with a 1:32 twist. 425 gr Buffalo bullet pushed by 100 gr of Pyrodex. I would like to find some of the new Pioneer Powder, but it is scarce. I have harvested Deer, Antelope and Elk with it. Good accuracy out a little past 100 yds.

My bro has a T/C that he could never get to shoot well. It was also a 54 cal. He put on a Green River barrel and it shoots super. He uses an in line now though.

Happy Hunting!!