haywire

My first Coues buck!!

Been reading this site for a while, but never have posted. Thought I would share the story and pictures of my first Coues buck!! I was in Jim's camp with Troy, Christian and Casey. I hunted Friday with not much luck, when I got back to camp there was a note hanging out of Jim's trailer door that said they had killed Troys buck. When they got back to camp Jim said that Christian had offered to tag along with me for an extra set of eyes. Christian was a big help and I appreciate him going to help out. We started out like most of my days prior, lots and lots of does. We moved to another spot and just could not believe the amount of does we were finding. It even became somewhat of a joke when myself or Christian would find another on the top of the moutain. After quite some time looking at these does, Christian said, "I got a buck". There was more than one and we decided to go for it. Of course they were on the top of the biggest mountain around but we both had nothing but time. It was a tough hike to get to where we needed to be but as luck would have it, we were both able to spot the deer bedded down. Christian found the smaller bucks and I said I would shoot one but wanted to wait to see if we could find the others. A short time later I spotted a doe up and feeding, as I watched her Christian said there was a buck following her. He got him in the spotting scope and I decided that was the one I wanted. We ranged him at 330 yards. I got comfortable with the help of Christians pack and squeezed one off. We thought I had hit him, but later we found out I had missed. Panic started to set in, but I found him again and squeezed another one. This one found it's mark at 380 yards and he stumbled and fell backwards. We jumped around, hollered a little and went to get him. Christian ended up packing all 4 quarters and the head out in his pack that could fit my entire house!! It was a long, long hike back to the truck, but it was well worth it. It is my first Coues buck and I was very excited. He is not a monster, but I have something to work up from now. These guys kept telling me that if I tried this hunt once, I would be hooked..... Well, guess what.. ;)

Richard

post-1504-1168020912.jpg

post-1504-1168020944_thumb.jpg

post-1504-1168021280_thumb.jpg

I am Glad to see this buck taken as your first. Very good job on your hunt. And may you have many more coues bucks in you future. great long shot as well. I love that.

Jim I am glad to see you getting the younger crowd on here involved in your hunts. Glad to see that Casey and Christian have been of good help to you and your crew. Keep them hitting the ground guy's.

Hey Richard.....great story and pic's! I wish I had the opprtunity to get out and hunt with you during our stay, but you know how it goes ;) Hopefully next time I have a tag instead of working and we can hunt together! You busted your butt and without a doubt deserved that buck and that experience, I'm glad I at least got to see yours and Christains smiles when you returned to camp! Congrats to you and welcome to the "coues addicted family"! Talk at ya later, JIM>

Congrats on a fine first coues and welcome to the family.

Nice story and first coues buck.

Somebut, one else mentioned this in another thread but I too have noticed that smiles aren't too common in these succes pictures. I guess a lot of folks drink that "hate-or-ade" that Ernesto mentioned. Everyone should switch to powerade... :lol:

Thanks everybody!! It sure was a tough but very fun and rewarding hunt!! For some reason I don't smile in pictures, but believe me there were plenty!!

Jim, no worries buddy. I am sure we will have plenty of opportunities this upcoming season. I am just glad you guys were still there to see our smiles and the buck!!

Houston!! Thanks. How have you been sir?

Thanks Casey, Christian takes good pictures too!!

Hey John!! We did have quite the hike to get him, sorry you guys weren't down there, it was a good time.

Richard

Congrats on the buck again Richard. It was definately well earned!

I will post pics of the hike in and out a little later just a little to tired to deal with it now been out hunting since the 26th :D

Here is a picture from the kill site looking back towards the truck and glassing point.

CopyofPC300099.jpg

Yes the truck is behind the hill on the flat way down in the very bottom. The hike was definately worth it though.

Thanks for those pics Christian. It sure doesn't look that bad in pictures!! :o

Richard

No it makes it look alot easier than it actually was.