Sign in to follow this  
Millhouse

Bear Rug Ideas

For all of you who have a bear rug, what did you do with it? I always figured it would go on the wall. Any tips or ideas? Photos would be great!

I had this rug done on beige/chocolate double felt as it was a good fit for the color of this bear imo. Had it done open mouth. I'm not a fan of the heavy ruffles so I had them flatten it out a bit to avoid so much ruffling on the edges. Just my preference though. I've seen some bobcat rugs where I really liked the heavy ruffle look but overall not for me. Also I prefer the rug on the wall to avoid it getting damaged. Also make sure the taxidermy work on the head is completely dry before hanging as I've heard that if you hang at a slant like I have, the form in the head can slide back over time with gravity??... Just what I've heard but it makes sense if not mounted right or not dry. Did you get a bear? Maybe I missed the post.

post-6251-0-43556800-1402361219_thumb.jpg

post-6251-0-12978000-1402361311_thumb.jpg

post-6251-0-26290200-1402361386_thumb.jpg

post-6251-0-70962600-1402361465_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The rug is done, currently laying on the spare bed waiting to be hung. Its closed mouth (I agree with DesertBull). There are 5 rings sewn on to the back of the rug. Do I need to put this thing on a couple studs? I like the angled idea with the head up. I wonder if the top legs should be on studs, or if it would be more important to have the head on a stud?

BTW...nice bear Critter.

• Like 1

The only D-ring that needs to be in a stud is the top frt leg (If hung with head angled up)... if you think about it that is where the weight is hanging from. Once that is in a stud you're good... then all you really need is a finish nail tightly through the drywall for the other rings as there really isn't much weight hanging on those.

However... if you hang completely horizontal you may want to be in a stud on one of the leg rings for sure, then the other rear leg/D-ring you might get away with just a nail but using a drywall anchor with a screw would be better (Because now your weight is centered more) The reason for this is the chance you landing on a Stud on the frt leg and rear leg D-ring is slim... but maybe you'll get lucky so get into a stud on at least one and maybe a drywall anchor/screw on the other. Then....the rest of the D-rings just use a finish nail simply for the Dring to latch onto tightly.

Helps to have two people hanging it up. Get it positioned on the wall where you want it, use a stud finder to find the nearest stud to where the weight will be hanging from.. you may have to compromise and move over a few inches from where you actually wanted it to hang. Or, you can use a few drywall anchors if you're dead set on where it should be and no studs to get into. I have a half body bear mount hanging from a drywall anchor perfectly fine for 3 years now but the anchor is in real snug. Good luck! post up pics once it is up!

I used some hooks that use three pins across the top. No studs needed but my bear isn't near as big as workman's. Stupid iPhone won't post the pics right side up.

That is an awesome looking room!

• Like 1

We just received our rug back and it's on the wall!

That's a HUGE Bear! Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1