Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Toyota AC help

OK on the hush hush anyone have any connections for some R12 ac charging on a 1990 Toy 4x4? My buddy finally ran out of juice and I just got my truck back from a full rebuild overhaul and my AC was low. My mechanic wont mess with it so was hoping someone might have a freind, I have lots of tradeables including cash. I would also consider knowledge on converting to 134, I know very little on how or cost?

Thanks in advance.

I think the conversion to r134 is just fittings to to fill and empty your system. They sell the conversion kit at oreily and I think it's pretty cheap

Yep just fittings, drain and refill. My 91 4Runner has been changed over. Easy Peazy.

be careful with the half butt retrofit. 134A builds more head pressure than R12 does and could blow the system up. It's cheaper to have it checked for leaks, fixed, then charged with R12 than replace the entire system later if it grenades.

• Like 1

My trapping truck, 1991 Ford Ranger, was R12 and I looked into getting the parts to convert it over. Too much money to do it right. On a suggestion from a mechanic I just bought the new inlets and dumped 134A in it and we're going on 2 years trouble free.

If you have leaks make sure they are fixed before you make the conversation.you can put an additive in for the system oil, but it's better if you can flush the whole system and drain the mineral oil from the compressor. Refill it with pag oil (a synthetic oil). Make the switch to r134, it is avaliable most any where. In Phoenix at Grand and 19th /McDowell there is a place called Aapak. Very helpful and they have everything you need. They can make up new hoses if needed- much cheaper than buying new if needed.

There's lots of R12 for sale on CL, or you could don a disguise and slip into the shadows of Backpage.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I thought the R12 was deemed bad for ozone and such. Been a while since i needed any ac work.

I will look on craigs and if not I guess its convert time.

R12 and mule flatulence are of equal concern to tree huggers these days.

• Like 1

Update. Bought 55 dollar retro kit from Napa and screwed 2 fittings on then charged with 134 and drove around in a jacket. I was expecting a pain in the rear.

After driving with you in that Toyota, I wanted you put in a jacket, too.