Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Unit 31 & 32 comparison

I am considering applying for unit 31 or 32 this fall, instead of 36c which I have hunted several times.

I have not spent time in either unit, and have some simple questions to anyone who has hunted there. What are any differences in difficulty of terrain and ease of access to public land between the units? Are the whitetail found in pockets due to geography, or are they more evenly distributed in the units? Any opinions?

Thanks,

Red Rabbit

RedRabbitt: Scott might be able to help and also call Duwane, tell him I sent ya and he will give you his opinion on those two. 520-385-4995..........I have only dinked around in 36c nothing in those two.........

Red Rabbitt,

I have hunted 32 quite a bit, in the Galiuro Mtns. There a lot of whitetail there. There are also a lot of hunters.... But you can get away from them with some effort. Access is decent, but not great. There are several areas that used to be closed though and now are open through the AGFD program for sportsmen's access. Whitetail in unit 32 are mostly restricted to the mtn ranges, the Galiuros and Winchesters.

I have not hunted 31, but know that some big deer come out of the Graham mtns (a.k.a. the Pinaleno mtns). There are also WT in the Santa Teresa's.

If I had a choice (which I do every year!) of hunting these two units, I would choose the Galiuros because I love that mountain range. It's very extensive and glassable. Deer density is high and there are big deer. There is a wilderness area that you can do a backpack hunt into if you want.

Of course, you may prefer unit 32. What I suggest is you look over the AGFD unit reports. The game manager for each unit posts info on deer distribution and access. Here is a link to go there: AZGFD hunt unit info

I have also posted hunt success and deer survey data for each unit, which you can see by going to this link: Hunt unit success, draw odds, and survey data

Hope that info helps.

Amanda

Thank you Amanda and Allen for the info and links. Another hunter familiar with the units also suggested backpacking into the mountains of 32. Guess I'll hafta start climbing more than up from the couch to the fridge to get in shape for backpacking. Is the mountain that makes up the picture banner for this website of the Galiuros, by chance? Great site, Amanda!

Thanks,

Red Rabbit/Doug

Yes, Doug, that photo is from the Galiuros. That is where I backpacked into this last season. I was looking for two big bucks that I saw in there last year, but I never saw them this year. It's a beautiful place to hunt!

Guest firstcoues80inches

i have never hunted either of those units but i have hunted in 36b and if 36c is like it then there is a lot of deer there

casey

Red Rabbit-

I hunted 32 & 32 for the better part of 10 years. Now I'm not claiming to be a coues expert...but I do know of a few areas you could get into that would 1) get you away from the crowds

2) hold deer, or these areas did as of 2 years ago...

If you're seriously considereing this, e-mail me and I'll tell you on a map where I would go if I were you!

Scott G.

I have have been told (a few years back) that the back side or the North side of the Winchester Mts. held some decent coues bucks. I have never hunted that area for anything but my sorce was pretty good. I was under the impression that 31 was not a respectable area for whitetail? I know nothing about it first hand. What does anyone know about these mountain ranges?

greyghost

Both those units are great. Aravaipa canyon has hairy coues country on both sides (North side is unit 31 and South side is unit 32). If I were you I would take a trip there before you decide and go from there. If you can not find a deer that you like in Aravaipa, you have a ton of backup options in both units. The Galiuros harbor alot of wilderness area and the biggest 2 pointer gene I have ever seen. The Grahams have alot of really good deer in them as well. Good luck.

Bret M.

I just ordered a lightweight backpacking tent, Eureka Zeus Exo, in prep for this fall's hunt. This should save over 5 pounds from the 9# alpine meadows tent. Hiking into the Galiuros sounds like the ticket. Now to get the hiking legs prepped and remember to tape the $100 bill to the back of the application to assure that December tag.

Doug

Hi,

Just to put my two cents in. My boy has drawn twice in 32 for youth hunts. The first he took a good 4 pt muley and the second he took a nice 3 pt coues out of a area called Deer creek (on the road to Klondyke) Great buck but like someone said it had more of that typical two point frame. It was over 16 inches wide and it's third points were only crab like on the end on it's main. It did have what would have been probally 4" drop tine broken of. I also bow hunt down in the southern end of 32 and have seen some great coues bucks...32 is one of my dream december hunts; I probally be better of buying a lottery ticket :rolleyes:

Brent