Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike Drake

Az Unit 9 Elk

Guest Mike Drake

I was lucky enough to draw a unit 9 archery bull elk tag. Though I've lived in Flagstaff my entire life and have hunted about every unit around here, I never had a reason to scout in that particular unit. My scouting trips will start soon, so if you can throw any hints on where to start that would be very helpfull. Also I will be shooting, 100 grain Spitfire 3 Blade Broadheads. Any suggestions on the best broadheads to use on elk would be usefull. Thanks

Mike, Congrats on your tag and good luck. As far as the broadhead I personally shoot Wasp jak hammers simply because of the thickness of the blade .036 compared to others I have tried. I don't know about the spitfires but I think they are .026. I've had great luck with those heads mentioned above with a bull and a cow hunt complete pass thru on both. Hope this helps.

Fletch :o

I shoot the muzzy 3 blade 100 gr's because they seem to stay intact pretty well. I think pretty much any broadhead out there will do the job just fine. Shot placement is everything. Man I wish I could archery hunt elk this year!!!!! ENJOY :o

I hunted early bull there in 98. I saw most of the bulls down in the PJ country even though it was hot and dry. Saw most east of Red Butte and northwest out of Tusayan along the park boundary up to the Indian Res. From what I understand competition with other archers around tanks can be pretty ferocious. Good luck and congrats on your draw!

Sent you an email Red Rabbit. My email is coues14@aol.com for anyone wanting to talk unit 9 or any other units around Flagstaff.

Since I changed jobs recently, I have a new e-address- dkoepsel@aol.com

I have changed the address listed here at CWT, today, so any previous e-mails will not get to me.

Thanx,

Doug

You have a hellofatag there. I actually got to hunt unit 9 last year.

How shall I put it. I saw more 350+ bulls than most hunters will see in a lifetime. They were like rabbits last year. This year should be even better. I was up there a few weekends in April and the grass was coming and the ground was soaked with water.

I would tell you where to go but I would be doing you a disservice. I taveled quite a bit and so did the elk. If you go a morning without getting into them then you need to move to a different location.

There are two ways to hunt in unit 9. Tree stands or call. The reason you have the tag is to sit a stand. This is the best unit in the world to sit a stand. There isn't a ton of water and the critters come to it like you wouldn't believe.

The second way is to call. I never even thougth about sitting a stand last year. The reason why. I love to hear and see those big boys sceam. Tree stands are very boring but very productive. I would drive until you hear bunch of bulls screaming and then get on that heard. Notice I said "a bunch" and "screaming".

Last year I would get out of my truck and just listen. NOT CALL JUST LISTEN. This way they have no idea you are even around. You need to find that really hot group anyways. Just listen for about a minute and if you don't hear them going absolutely nuts then just get in your car and leave. It is that simple.

You will know what I'm talking about when you get there.

Email me and I will point you in the right direction. snydely@hotmaill.com

Last year we had 5 people in camp and we all killed 6 points. I couldn't even tell you how many book animals I passed. It was a ton.

One last thing. Don't get in a hurry. The later the hunt goes the better it gets. The first two days are WOW JUST GREAT!!!!!!!!!! Then they shut down a bit for a few days. By the middle of the week they will go nuts until the end of the hunt. The last few days will be the best. Remember. As the hunt goes on you loose hunters and all the helpers that come with them. Be patient. There are monsters in there. I saw 2 that were huge and are still alive today. Trust me. If someone killed either they would be next to the guy that shot that bull in 8 last year.

Later,

recurveman

I appreciate all the information on unit 9. Scouting will start this weekend and continue every weekend until the hunt starts. I will let you all know how the hunt went up in Northern Arizona and if I get one I will try and post the pictures. Thanks again I hope it's an excellent hunt!!!!!!

Red Rabbit

I went scouting Saturday the last day of July but skipped this last weekend. About 70% of the tanks I saw had water that weekend. After the recent rains up there it could have filled more tanks. I'll send you an email.

Last years rut was unbelievable. Never heard anything like it before. Bulls were screaming well into the morning and starting backup again well before dark. It's not like that most years. You'll usually hear them going at it strong after dark and right before dawn. They start winding down about an hour after shooting light.

Yes last season was a great year for archery bull. I was in 5B south last season and bulls started to bugle well before sunrise and end in late morning and in the evening the bulls would start to bugle about two hours before sunset. The kill percentages were great in just about every elk unit last archery season. I hope this years rut compares to last years rut so I can have some chances at a big bull. Should be Awesome