Sign in to follow this  
hntnIwlgo

Overnight Camera Set Up

post-5057-0-21408800-1404710139_thumb.jpgAttached are 2 trail camera photos. I know they may not be too exciting but too me they are very exciting. I only set up my camera when we are out camping. The first picture is from last year. I set out the camera right before dark and went to get the next morning. My husband kept trying to prepare me for the expected let down but I was thrilled to see I got something. I know he is hard to see but you can see the bull elk in there if you look closely. Now this year I did the same thing. I set the camera out on 4 nights, each night in a different place. Three of the nights I didnt get anything but one night I got some elk. I also got a deer on the same night but the photo is very blurry. It must have crossed directly in front of the camera. Because I got so excited when I found out I had caught something now my husband wants to go get me 3 or 4 more cameras so we can set more than one out a night. He said seeing my reaction when I saw that the camera got something was worth all the money in the world. I think just one more camera will be fine. I found a pond off the road thats pretty hidden and left my camera there. We will go back in a couple of weeks to go get. I cant wait.

post-5057-0-98805100-1404710391_thumb.jpg

Thats really cool! I remember when I got my first camera pictures very exciting. If you really want to get after it set out some trace mineral salt with your camera pointed at it for a couple weeks, you will surely get some pictures! Good luck

• Like 1

I can just imagine the excitement you were expressing that would make Sam want to go buy you a few more cameras. Don't settle for one let him buy you as many as he wants. lol Thanks for sharing Deb. I hope your camera is still on the pond when you get back. Can't wait to see more of your pictures. :)

TJ

That's awesome!!!! I still remember waiting at the film developer to get 24 pictures developed after driving for hours wondering what you got pictures of when motion cams first came out!!! Hahaha those were the frustrating days to say the least!!!

• Like 1

Seeing that there are pics on my trail camera is like xmas morning for me, haha. I know how ya feel. : )

• Like 1

Well this weekend we went to check my camera which I had set up 2 weeks ago. In checking the photos on the SD card I was surprised to find this photo where when I looked at 2 weeks ago, I must have only paid attention only to the foreground because I totally missed the background. Nice background surprise. That's what I get for checking the photos in the field. I did not see this until last evening in the hotel.

post-5057-0-37992700-1405907919_thumb.jpg

OK for my 2 week set up... it was dry up there so I was happy to find a small pond not seen from the road and in a place that no one really had a reason to walk back there. On the back bank of the pond was a single tree. Looked good to me so I set up there believing I would get things coming into the water or passing by in the small opening there. Well 2 weeks later-in walking up to the pond I could see the pond was much larger from all the rain and the camera was still there, just repositioned. Where I had it facing north it was turned to more northwest but still where it could catch things. Got some photos, not as many as I'd hoped. Though the camera was set up for 15 days I only had photos for 5 of those days. My placement of the camera turned out to be not as perfect as I had hoped. The animals spent a lot of time feeding right at the base of my tree and kept walking right smack as close as you can to a camera. In doing all of this I'm confident that is how the camera got moved. Over a 100 photos were taken but almost all are just up close photos of parts of the animals and many photos were just nothing but all white. Here are the best of what I got.

post-5057-0-65709500-1405911644_thumb.jpgpost-5057-0-15874200-1405911666_thumb.jpgpost-5057-0-56401800-1405911701_thumb.jpgpost-5057-0-57197300-1405911728_thumb.jpgpost-5057-0-75303500-1405911764_thumb.jpgpost-5057-0-80617900-1405911788_thumb.jpgpost-5057-0-17937300-1405911815_thumb.jpg

Next weekend we will be taking our daughter to camp so I was given another opportunity to leave cameras out. I am now the proud owner of 3 cameras. There is a lot of water up there now so the cameras are set in small open areas, away from roads, in hopes something just might walk by. Chances are pretty slim but you never know

Thanks for sharing Deb. You will have this down in no time. Glad to see you having fun with the cameras. Can't wait to see some more. :)

TJ

Cool pics. It is b pretty exciting to get home and check that sd card