Sign in to follow this  
HuntHarder

Snake Gaiters

I need to purchase a new pair of snake gaiters, and was wondering what most of you guys use? The area I will be hunting this year is thick with rattlers and I do not want to take any unnecessary chances. My online research seems to point to a brand called Turtle Skin gaiters. They seem to be very light weight but also good protection against strikes. Do any of you have any suggestions?

I have 3 pair of the Rattlers Brand from the sportsmans warehouse. They are pretty light, but I don't know if they work. I think they were $40.00.

A guy I know who puts alot of boots on the ground in the snake infested Superstition mountains swares to have been struck by multiple snakes all deflected from Turtle Skins.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Turtle skins look awesome, just kinda hard to spend 140$ without having some knowledge of them actually working. I hope I never have to find out if they work, and I have been lucky so far, but last year I got a few scares on my antelope hunt and I do not want it to happen again this year.

I have never used gaiters, but I bought a pair of Cabela's snake boots some years back. They go almost to the top of the shin. Great for repelling cactus also. I am not sure how well they work against fangs, and I hope I don't find out.

I was struck in younger years 1 penetration and 1 scratch just enough to make me feel like crap and have worse muscle cramps ever! at around 24ish I finally bought guards cuz I was sick of jumping 3 feet in air while tapping shotgun of on rattler.. THE VERY 1st time I wore my guards I dropped a dove in rocky area so walked straight toward it not wanting to lose it while loading shotgun of course. I felt a tap on my left schin and looked down to see a 4' pregnant female rattler coiled and moving away from the guard she just struck with no luck, yes I still jumped 3'.

GUARDS ARE VITAL! dove and quail season are my snake weakness. I believe mine are rattlers but not sure, they are wrap around snap and strap and basically all cordura and yes they are awesome for cactus.. now does many many cactus pokes equal weakened guards??

Good luck on decision and im sure they all work but some are way more comfy! if your like me and things love to bite and sting you PLEASE GET GAITERS! now wish they had something to deflect bees and wasps.