Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Thinking of trading My Jim White Head

Everytime I mess with the Outdoorsman pistol grip with the pan adapter I want it. I love my Jim White Head but am leading torwards a trade. I am using Kaibab 15x56 on them. Any downfall you potentially see me having. Is the Outdoorsman pistol grip good for the weight of the 15's? Am I crazy and just stick with what I have.

No I'm not selling.

If you keep the ball clean, the pistol grip is great... If it gets dirty, it will start making noise.. Just make sure you keep it clean and don't use oil, it will start to slip a little if you use oil or wax.

I love my pistol grip and panning attachment for binos (including 15's weight is not an issue), not stable enough for a high powered spotter in my opinion. The ball will get dirt over time but it can be disassembled and cleaned easily. I take mine apart and use throttle body cleaner about once a year, no more squeaky-squeaky. I use an allen wrench and large flat screwdriver tip on a 1/4" drive ratchet. Do not use grease or wd40 on the ball head of any kind!!!! I have had the Jim White head and it is nice too. The Jim White head is a better option if you are going back and forth between a spotter and a pair of binos on the same tripod than the pistol grip. I think Outdoorsmans will clean it for you if you take it by their shop.

The one downside to the Jim White is the plates slide in from the front of the head to the back. I usually am glassing downhill and one time I did not have the plate tightened down enough and my binos slid right of the head. The Outdoorsmans pistol grip is the opposite. You have to slide the plate from the back to the front and the small set screw will not allow the binos to fall of when looking down if not tight. I know it was my error but if I am looking up and the binos slide off the worst that can happen is they land in my lap and I have a shot at catching them.

I think you have to try lots of different setups till you find the one that fits your style best. If I could afford it I would have one of each including the outdoorsmans panhead. You never know what the next adventure will require ;)

The Jim white head is better than the pistol grip is IMO! Now if you compare it to the outdoorsmans titl/pan head then the outdoorsmans is better. However, I have a Jim white head that he built and assembled and serviced, whenever I needed at no cost I might add, at his home in Williams. I consider him a friend and will be missed, so I will continue to use his design for as long as it keeps working, which i expect will be a long time!

• Like 3

I have 2 outdoorsmans pistols grips with the pan heads on them. I love them. One just sits around and doesn't get used much. Im willing to trade. If interested call me 602-628-9684 Matt

Both are great products! Personally I prefer the Jim White head to a pistol grip, but it's really a personal decision for everyone. Try both side by side and see how which you like best.