Sign in to follow this  
azcouesandelk

First Bow Hunt: Part 3

Well this was my last weekend for archery pig this year and I came home with a wealth of knowledge but no pig.

January 19th

Woke up at 4 and drove down to 36b to get a full day of hunting. Got down to my spot at 7ish and started to glass. Today was kind of slow nothing really moving in my spot. Was able to find 8 deer 1 being a small buck (2x1).

January 20th

Got to the same spot as yesterday around the same time in hopes of finding the big herd of pigs I had seen the week before. Sat down and in less then 10 minutes had 3 small bucks located. The biggest of these 3 was a very small 3x2 and the other 2 were spikes. Continued to glass and found a decent fork so my friend decided to try and stalk them. He was able to get to 60 yards and slipped spooking the buck. We decided to move around to glass a different set of hills and found nothing. Took our midday nap and wake up and find 3 more bucks feeding. Biggest in this group was a fork. Continued glassing this area til dark and found 2 more small forks. So over the day saw 14 deer and 9 were bucks but nothing very good size. Here is a pic of the first group of 3.

P1190124.jpg

P1190123.jpg

January 21st

Today was my last day to hunt. Went to a different area where I have seen several different herds of pigs. Glassed for about 2 hours only finding 1 doe. Decided to move to an area where I have seen a herd of pigs quite often. Glassed for 30 minutes and found a very nice buck in my standards. He was an 80 class buck. I attempt my stalk and get about 150 yards and try to relocate him. I see a deer come out of the bottom of the canyon and see the buck lip curling chasing the doe. I watch where there go over the ridge and try to relocate them with no luck. Here are a couple pics of the buck.

P1200133.jpg

P1200132.jpg

Hope everybody enjoyed my log through my first archery hunt. I am definately addicted and am looking forward to next January.

Way cool hunt stories. I enjoyed every one of them. I like the part about you coming away with a wealth of knowledge. That is so important and makes you a better all-around hunter.

I remember your post back when you first purchased your bow and got it all together in no time and started hunting.

Are you not going after them again in September? Could be a great time to get a velvet coues!

Take care and glad you are back safe from the 36's - it's ALWAYS an ADVENTURE down there.

AzP&Y

Doug

Thanks for taking us on your hunting trips, they were very good reading! Archery is definately addicting, good luck drawing tags this year! Rich

Great update once again Christian! Thanks for taking us along....

A buddy of mine was down south this past weekend and said that it looked as though the muley rut was still on. Lots of action, but no arrows released... ;)

S.

:-)

Christian, Congrats on your succesful first bow hunts, all the buck stalks and pigs you were on was really exciting to read about, almost like I was there....And the pics just iced the cake :P