biglakejake

el nino just keeps rollin' along-september 1-day wahoo !

30 and 40lb mono is all we used just need to tie on 30lb flouro leaders of 2-3 feet.... Seems they can see the mono in some cases

It's the line drag from the heavier line slowing your bait down that requires the lighter line. Guys with 30lb flouro were having trouble getting bit. As I said, bring 30-40, but also bring lighter stuff so you don't ruin a trip. The landings rented my crew 30-40lb outfits that they never caught a fish on. If I didn't bring all the lighter outfits, they would have been skunked. I've had school size yellowfin bite 80lb right off the corner before, doesn't mean they do that every trip. They got really line and boat shy quick. Hopefully they will get a better attitude and go Wide open again.

hey catfish -

are you the same catfish that used to tend bar at the outback in flag?

for 20# i'm still using a 1985 vintage penn 146 squidder, jr. with full newell conversion. usually spooled with 25# and a backup spool with 20. it never broke or let me down over 30 years so i never got that new daiwa sl20 i promised myself.....

lee

• Like 1

i got a text from a socal buddie at about 7am that hundred pound bft were coming over the rail. he was missin' it cuz he's the cook.

many if not all the overnight boats got into the 100+ lb fish this morning and the captains are begging fisherman to bring their 40 or 50 lb rigs.

lee

anyone want to go over Labor Day weekend?

there is a 1 day trip on Friday Aug 29th on the Grande out of Point Loma.

I'd definitely go out there with nothing less than 50 right now. :-)

I have friends that have been on multiple trips recently, including a 2 day on the Outer Limits August 6,7. 1 days, 2 days, private boats. Everyone one of them has said the fish were line shy at times. If you bring 3 rods right now, I'd bring 20,30,40. 20 for your line shy bait bite. A megabait on the 30 or 40 and reserve one of the heavier rods if the bigger fish show up. The yellowfin are mostly 15-25lbs. Many of the yellowtail are rats in the 6lb range with some bigger. You can easily land any of those fish on 20 if your forced to fish it.

I've heard some of the boats have found them wide open again. That's fun when you can go to the 40 and really haul them in, but don't go out there expecting it.

Wish I had time to get back out there.

MX open blue fin tuna back up and boats are reporting BFT up to and exceeding 100 lbs.

I will be on the boat Saturday night for two full days! Can't wait to hit it and hopefully get in on the action that almost everybody is reporting.

Good luck Phil. what boat are you going on? Leave Sat PM, fish Sun and Mon and return Tues AM?

Awesome. Good luck out there. If the Bigger bluefin show up, it would be nice to have a 50-60lb outfit. No Bigeye in the counts yet, but they should pop up anytime too. I've got into those 50-100lb Bigeye before. That's a blast and they are the best eating IMO.

Good luck Phil. what boat are you going on? Leave Sat PM, fish Sun and Mon and return Tues AM?

I'm going on H&M Landing's Invicta and yes we leave Sat PM and arrive back to dock Tues AM. A friend of mine booked it and got 20 of us together to go. Should be a blast.