Sign in to follow this  
BigGameHunter

Time Given to Game Cams

I just hung cameras over a water tank that I know takes a lot of deer traffic (just based on the amount of track around the waterhole), but how long should I give the camera to pick up a buck(s)? 2 weeks? 1 month?

I'd check it weekly. Mainly because so many cameras get stolen so I would check it and then erase the memory card.

I'd suggest at least two weeks and a month is better. But that depends on how secure you think your camera is and how much effort it takes to go check them. The longer the better in terms of more pics on the camera.

Might want to try also putting one back a hundred yards or so on a game trail to see if you better results. Like others say if it's a known water hole then it's as good as gone unless it's very well secured. You would be amazed if you take a few extra steps back on a traveled game trail. Good luck. Post some pics

• Like 1

Check them as often as you can , i know its hard but its the truth....But everyone is right ,putting it on a tank is a greenhorn move for sure unless on private land or so....I have some out ... i have had good luck on pics and that i still own all them all,,hes right couple hundred back are good but still risky...I have had luck putting them high on back of big bowls..Its a great hobby and a expensive one if not smart,,,,.Well good luck