kingbeer

handgun javi!

hey all,

my father in law has a hard on for wanting to go hunting with a handgun! is there a special kind of OTC tag for javelina to hunt with a handgun?

or is it just the general tag?

thanks

No over the counter tags. You gotta do a general hunt or HAM (handgun, archery, muzzle loader) hunt. Read the spring regs.

ok so there are no OTC tags for javelina at all? i will have to go and re-read then regs cause i thought that they were OTC tags for the fall.

I think the fall OTC javi hunts are for jrs ONLY

well that would sum it up right there! looks like my hunting is going to be done for the yr! or i will just have to go all for rabbits!

ArCHerY-onlY nonpermit tAG requireD JAvelinA

Open Areas do not include areas within municipal parks, municipal preserves, county parks, county preserves, airports, golf courses, or posted water treatment facilities

(except as specifically opened in this Commission Order) or areas closed to hunting under A.R.S. Sections 17-303 and 17-304 or Commission Rules R12-4-321, R12-4-801,

R12-4-802 and R12-4-803.

Season Dates notes open Areas legal Wildlife

am i reading this wrong? right from the regs book!

ArCHerY-onlY nonpermit tAG requireD JAvelinA

Open Areas do not include areas within municipal parks, municipal preserves, county parks, county preserves, airports, golf courses, or posted water treatment facilities

(except as specifically opened in this Commission Order) or areas closed to hunting under A.R.S. Sections 17-303 and 17-304 or Commission Rules R12-4-321, R12-4-801,

R12-4-802 and R12-4-803.

Season Dates notes open Areas legal Wildlife

am i reading this wrong? right from the regs book!

Those are all low density areas. Success is going to be limited.

i hear you on that one. i am new to hunting and i feel that it will be good for me to go just to get out and give it a shot! also might be able to find me some rabbits! i really have to say that i hate the draw system here! just wish that it was a little easier to get drawn!

The over the counter tags are archery only in late dec-jan and are in the units around town for the most part. You'll have to wait til dec and like I said its archery only. Not handgun.

Archery only. Do yourself a favor a thoroughly read the regs. azgfd.com. Don't take this the wrong way but judging by your questions I would do a lot of reading on regs and hook up with someone who knows what they're doing before you go anywhere.

• Like 1

Excellent advice above. Anyone that hunts needs to study the regs front to back. Spring javelina almost always have leftover tags in less desirable zones. I'll probably put in for a HAM hunt this year and buy an archery only for jan in a different zone. Great way to spend more time hunting. Jan archery Javelina is awesome since it coincides with the OTC archery deer tag.

I usually handgun hunt with a super red hawk 44 mag, but a Javelina with the Glock would be fun.

Brian