Sign in to follow this  

12A Archery Kaibab Deer

anyone else checking this forum for pics?....I am pretty sure that is the only reason why it has so many views haha

• Like 1

I can't add much more than what has already been posted about the Kaibab but I can attest to it being a magical place. My dad and I have been hunting the Bab for over 19years. In that time we have rarely missed a hunting season on the plateau. We have built a strong relationship between ourselves and the people who call Jacob their home. It's like no place on earth. The feeling you get when you start the climb up 89A to the feeling you get when it's time to pack up and go home, it's better than any Christmas morning I've ever had. There have been years were we have lost count on the number of bucks and does we have seen and there have been years when we have gone home without seeing hardly a buck. All I know is that no matter what, when hunting season starts there is nothing else I can think about. Can't wait to see you all up there at the dinner counter at Jacob enjoying a "Grand Bull" sandwich and swapping stories. Good luck and post your success when it's over.

I have attached a few bucks we taken from the plateau over the years. I could write a book on each. BOHUNTR has already described perfectly the best strategy. Find an area and stick to it. The number of hunters can be tough to deal with but it can also keep the deer moving. The first buck I took from the kaibab was pushed into me by another hunter from our group. I arrowed that buck from 40 yards while at a slow trot with my recurve. One thing I would say about the Game and Fish decision to turn the archery hunt into a draw, is that it places dedicated archery hunters in the forest with you. Can't complain about that. And don't forget your turkey tag i've taken two turkeys and one Bluegrouse during the archery deer hunt. It doesn't get much better than this...post-12661-0-39550800-1408165673_thumb.jpgpost-12661-0-24709200-1408165655_thumb.jpgpost-12661-0-79812500-1408166070_thumb.jpg

I didn't get one, but passed on a 125-130 inch 3 point at 25 yards. I didn't happen to see any real big ones on this hunt, just a few smaller 4 points. Did anyone out there have any luck?

Just got home from 12A west! Pm me if you want info! I will write later on here due to trying to unload and get back to work. As a quick note talked to a bunch of people while there Sat-Tue nite. Saw the biggest, a least 8 points on the 67 going shout right at the road 200. Northeast side. Chased them across the road to the northwest side. There were 8 of them. Mostly small buck everywhere, and up and moving all day long.

I vote that "muledeer#1" be banned from the site....on his 8th post he has shamed my trophy room haha

Let see some pics of those deer on the ground or hear some stories...those bucks look fantastic.

• Like 1

post-12663-0-04827500-1409270221_thumb.jpg all these bucks were killed over the years on the Kaibab, my dad has hunted there since he was a kid and I was lucky enough to hunt with him as I was growing up , the bucks on the ground are from all over the state ,

I just got back from a six day stint up there. Passed a spike buck on opening day and only saw one other buck. That place will take some time to figure out. I scouted two weekends before season opened and was still pretty clueless. Its lik every other unit, definetely NOT a buck behind every tree and you should plan on laying down some boot leather preseason. There is currently a lot of water all over the forest in puddles from rain this week but a lot of tanks are still dry. Also everyone one that does have water has at least one camera on it, even the ones we found off road and off map. Its a nice place I'm glad I tried it once, but too many bipeds and road hunters for my taste. I think I'll reserve my August hunt for 27 and you all can have 'the bab'. Good luck to everyone!

Sounds like you were in the wrong spot. What elevation did you hunt?

We were around 9000ft. I think we were to far south and a bit farther in than we needed to be. Kept seeing a bunch of deer and hunters closer to the highway. Good learning experience and it was still a good time. Saw plenty of does and fawns, just not a lot with bone on the head. The couple of bucks I did see were moving very late, too dark to shoot, and very close to the roads. They seemed like they have the game pretty well figured out.

Took this tall 3 point from a treestand on the second weekend of the hunt. The first few days I saw four smaller bucks and some doe. Overall had a great time on the Kaibab!

post-333-0-74076200-1409629927_thumb.jpg

• Like 4