Ok, woke up about 4:00 am took a shower tried to get my son up but he made every excuse not to go

before i left i told him you gonna miss out, we are going to find some good bears today he just said my knee hurts i said ok have fun today!! loaded up my truck and ranger picked my Cuz and Buddy off we went. we took our time driving up to NM from Morenci we saw several little bucks, javelina, and some elk on the way up ,all of that already made worth getting out. We got to where we were gonna hike up this hill we hunt all the time for deer and elk we always see from 1 to 5 bears in there all the time, we finally got to the top talked a bit taking in the beautiful view of the area with everything being so green it looked awesome!! We glassed and called for 1 hrs in each spot didn't even see a rabbit or deer i was shocked that is a honey hole no one is ever in their needless to say i was a little bummed. We hiked north on the rim to this huge canyon called (JK) glassed for 40 minutes half way down the canyon didn't see or call in anything. We hiked back to the truck took us about 1 hr had lunch under a tree talked about where we were going to hunt next finished lunch Julio wanted to go down lower and hunt i told him no we were going to go on this really rough trail i saw a bear on a week or so earlier. Unloaded the ranger n took off a little ways down the road a road runner crosses the road in front of us, i said its a done deal now because every time one does we end up killing or seeing something BIG, drove on that rough road to the first big canyon grabbed my call walked down about 200 yards set up the call started calling and in 5 minutes a beautiful blonde bear comes trucking it in i said there is a BEAR !! i look at julio and said there is a bear. he doesn't even have the gun... SMH He runs back up the hill to get the gun i kept calling and glassing n noticed some movement on a big oak tree n saw 2 little boo boo bears. Julio came back n said where is it? I said she is coming. (She he says?) yup she has 2 cubs he says BS so i showed him the 2 cubs in my binos i ended up calling all 3 of them in to about 110 yards .Walked back to the ranger took off to the next spot we walked over a small ridge to a canyon with a small water hole in the bottom started calling this time julio is ready!!, And in about 8 min a small bore comes in but a lot slower than the sow it was an ok bear, he would have been happy shooting this one but i told him there is 2 really big bears in here. We take off again driving along the trail and stop to glass My Cuz says there is a cow about 800 yards away i looked n told him thats a bear not a cow we took off towards him an lost sight of it we started calling and nothing so i walked up about 300 yards on the trail and he was right there we just couldn't see him because the ridge we were to low. I called them on the radio n said u see him! They came up we got julio set up dialed the turret in to 450 calmed Julio down he squeezes the shot off the bear roles down the hill into a tree we all high 5 yelling, we see some movement again on the opposite finger the bear was still alive he adjusts the turret 2 more clicks boom!!! I say BBD Baby we hiked down to the bear checked him out Julio was super happy this is his first bear!! not to shabby i say i told you we were gonna get one because of that road runner!!! The Bear had a tag #354 and do not consume on it. We caped out the bear loaded it in the pack and hike out of the canyon to the ranger it was a fun day i just wish my son would have woke up to come it would have been more fun. taxidermy official score was 19" not a book bear but a lot of fun and a heck of a first bear for Julio.

• Like 5

Wow what a beast! Congrats!

• Like 1

Thanks for the story and pics! What a BEAST!

• Like 2

I had the skull remeasured from a official scorer and he came up with 21 1/4!! That's more like what I thought!!!

Awesome!!! Beast for sure wow