Sign in to follow this  
mullmann

First hunt in 24A

A friend and I got drawn for the 24A November 28-December 7th hunt. I have never been drawn for any big game in Arizona before and have never hunted Coues. If Anyone has advice for hunting Coues I would appreciated it and if anyone has information or knowledge they are willing to share about 24A I would appreciate that too.

Thanks

You'll see most hunters on the first weekend of this hunt. Later in the week and the second weekend I think you'll increase your odds and have a more enjoyable time. The unit will have already seen 900?+ hunters by the time of your hunt, but I think you drew the best one besides the late Dec tag. Start with the the spots recommended by azgfd webpage and pick one or two. It is a big unit so pick a spot and get in a couple scouting trips before, but be mindfull of other hunters.

I don't think anyone is going to give away their secret spots to someone with 1 post.

Good Luck and have a good time!

• Like 1

Put your binos pn a tripod and stay behind them all day. And make sure you have good boots.

Norteno, I am new to this website. I would never ask for or expect someone to give me their secret spot. I am just trying to see what people have to say about the unit and which spots might not be worth looking at. I plan on scouting two days in october and then I am going back out in November after the other seasons are finished. my friend has already gone out a few times. By the time our hunt comes around 700 Coues hunters and 300 mule deer hunters will have already been in there stirring things up.

I had the same tag last yr and I will tell you that it was a tough hunt. The animals are being pressured non stop starting at the beginning of Aug.

There are some good bucks in the unit, you will just have to work to find them. Good Luck

• Like 1

mullmann,

My wife and I have the october 31 hunt there. Its gonna be the first time she has hunted so no matter what I hope to have a good time. I have never set foot in the unit and that is going to be part of the fun. Have spent the last few years trying different units for the the most part blindly either for bear, deer or javi's. Have been successful each time. We plan to get away from the crowds as best we can and glass glass then glass some more. We don't have plans on being picky. Hope to find a fair deer for her to take as for me I will simply be happy if I can get her a deer. The challenge of a new unit is always exciting and stressful but in the end just getting to spend a few days out there is gonna be a blast. Hunt the unit. If your not seeing sign time to pack up and move. Don't waste time in areas that are not at least showing signs of the animal your looking for. Pressure or not if you get after them and huntt just 10% harder than the next guy I bet you will be successful. Good luck.

Last year was a weak year. Usually the late nov hunt is the best hunt. I usually see more deer then, then during the earlier hunts. With all the rain we have been getting it should be a great hunt. Dont limit yourself to one area almost everywhere carries decent bucks. For those big bucks get way back and stay in one spot all day. Good luck.

Went out scouting the 8th and 9th with my dad. Rain was brutal on Wednesday and could not see anything due to the downpour so we went back on Thursday. It was raining in Superior when we got there in the morning so we drove North of Globe and the patches of rain missed us. It turned out to be a great day. Saw lots of tracks everywhere we got out and walked. Came back close to superior in the evening and saw lots of tracks there. Going back out this monday and then going back on Nov 26th after the other season wraps up. Hopefully by then I will have put eyes on some deer and narrowed down to my final spots. I picked up a forest map to go with my GPS and that was a big help finding access points.

• Like 1