Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Muskox

Tonight I made some burgers from some of the best meat I have ever had the privilege of eating - Muskox. My friend brought some down to me a few months ago. No pictures, it did not last too long. I also cooked up some elk burgers to compare and the muskox was every bit as good, maybe better. Neither my friend nor I add fat to our ground meat. Right now I have elk, deer, moose and muskox in my freezer and I would say muskox may be better than the rest. If you ever get the chance to have muskox you will see what I mean.

• Like 1

Sam, very interesting. It is not musky at all? I am curious about brown bear meat. Seems like most Alaskans shy away from eating brown bear, while black bear is certainly a favorite staple. Any insight on the lack of eating brownies?

Keith - don't be fooled by the name :). Muskox is not gamey at all - even less than elk or buffalo and neither one of those are gamey. I am not sure what muskox eat, most of the year they are digging through snow to find food. But the meat is very lean and red. No smell at all either. It seems more moist than moose or venison. Sometimes moose can dry out, even though they eat alot of aquatic plants.

Black bears are definitely a favorite in the village were my buddy lives. I suppose it has to do with their diet - mostly berries and bugs. But, Grizzlies also gorge themselves on berries in the fall. But brownies and grizzlies also eat tons of fish in the fall - I bet that adds a bit of a strong flavor tot he meat. I'll ask my friend next time I talk to him.......I have had swan up there and it was very fishy tasting - I think swan is the only wild game I have not carried for. All they eat is fish and aquatics.

I had just come out of an old abandon Military building after showing a young kid how to quarter up a Caribou and was standing on the gravel runway when one walked passed up at about 30 yards. Suprised the heck out of me and it was all alone too. I thought it would have been bigger.

I didn't get a chance to eat any but the amount of different plants on the tundra is amazing so I imagine they have a varied diet and a lot of choices to eat.

There were some willows and bushes but lots of red berries and blue berries, lichen, grasses etc.

• Like 1

a note on bear meat - or any meat for that matter - it's all in what they are eating/ digesting , it will and does flavor the meat to some extent.

that's why they say if the bears are in the garbage they will taste like garbage - if the bears are eating the fruits berris and nuts it will be quite flavorful- love a bear who has been gourging itself on the seasonal prickly pear fruit .

I not positive but most likely there is a big difference in the diet between brown and black bears.

and it may have something to do with the time of year also.

Some day I would love to try some muskox - and will do so if the opportunity comes up!