I have been putting off getting into duck hunting for the past few years to pursue my big game tags, but this year I am ready to put in the time to really hit it hard. I would appreciate any advice/tips on what gear I need, anyone in particular to contact, calling tips, etc. I am green as green gets when it comes to ducks and any help would be appreciated!

1. Reliable shotgun, waders, waterproof pants, jacket, hat, and boots.

2. A hunting partner (retrieving dog is best)

3. Steel Shot loads for your gun

4. Decoys if hunting near water, map of ponds to jumpshoot otherwise. Small water doesn't need a ton of deeks, add more drakes to your spread if possible and odd numbers are good (don't put out a dozen, add a few or take a few away). I usually use a mix of puddle duck species in my spread. Mallards, pintails, widgeons, teal. Any duck will decoy to a mallard spread so need need to over-complicate things but if you have a variety available use it.

5. Calling is not needed unless you are hunting over decoys. Even then, less is more. This will come with experience. Worry about your location, set up and decoys first and foremost.

6. Camo is very important. Don't let your shiny face be seen by the ducks. This goes for hiding yourself, your boat, etc.

7. When you kill your birds and cook them, don't over do it. Leave duck slightly rare and you'll enjoy the meat much more.

I almost forgot...don't forget your Duck Stamps!

• Like 4

Heat gave you excellent advice. I'll add my opinion on decoying birds, I don't have much experience jump shooting and hiking tanks.

I don't necessarily agree with the adding more drakes to the spread but to each their own and their experience. I love shooting decoying drakes right in the face, and they like decoying to hens, especially later in the season if they haven't paired up yet. More hens, and an odd number as stated by Heat, help with this IMO. Tons of guys take their dozen decoys they bought, typically 8 drakes and 4 hens, and drop them in the water. Be different!

Calling is way overrated in Arizona, it takes an experienced caller to bring in the pressured ducks we most often see. Learn single quacks before you blow strings of calls and only call, if at all, when the birds are in decision making mode. If you see a flutter of the wing, a quick drop in elevation, a bird changing direction, that's when to hit the call. Never when they are decoying straight towards you with the rare exception that the birds on a given day like some quiet feeding chatter to "finish" them down into range.

Ducks see everything, just when you think you are going to be hidden enough, hide some more and definitely cover your face.

• Like 2

I don't necessarily agree with the adding more drakes to the spread but to each their own and their experience.

I'll add this as I re-read my post, there is more often than not a "boss hen" in larger groups of ducks. She is in the lead of the flock and she is the decision maker. In this case, more drakes in a spread could change her decision as to where she takes the flock. But this is extremely variable, depending on early/late season, pressure from hunters, hunting a feeding or loafing area, etc. Variables that are tough to have in your favor in central AZ which is why I stated my hens ratio opinion.

Good luck and avoid shooting the brown birds if you have a choice.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the words of wisdom. I have been researching some areas to hunt online (mainly the azgfd website) and am wondering how pressured these areas get? As with all of the other AZGFD spots i'm guessing it's where everyone and their mother goes, but I don't know any duck hunters here in AZ so I'm not sure how popular it is. Also, how effective is scouting for ducks? How long do they typically hold their patterns once you do find some?

Just about everywhere gets pressure whether it's posted on the AZGFD website or not. Water is easily scouted on Google Earth, but to find out where the ducks actually want to be, you have to get out and see for yourself close in timing to your hunting efforts. Scouting is extremely effective. If you can watch undisturbed birds feeding or loafing, you can get an exact idea of how to set up your spread at that spot the next day. They will typically hold their patterns until people start shooting at them. A new push of fresh migrators could do the exact same thing or something entirely different so it makes it interesting. If you find birds and want to keep them around, never, never shoot a roost site! If they don't feel safe somewhere nearby at night they are going to vacate the area immediately.

• Like 1

Check the new regs. You now need a "birth" stamp. I dont know but it sounds like they are cracking down on illegals hunting Ducks.

Lots of good advice, you will find that if someone has a good duck spots in AZ, they are tight lipped about it, because there isn't that many great duck hunting spots in AZ. I have found what might hold ducks one week, the next they are gone and heading south, so try and have a variety of areas you can hunt in a certain location.

I got good at my duck call by blowing it during the ride to work, no one to annoy or yell at you for making to much noise.

• Like 2

I got good at my duck call by blowing it during the ride to work, no one to annoy or yell at you for making to much noise.

+1, my calls never leave my truck.

Turning the call around backwards and blowing the same notes can help you understand your own air control as well, it's a good way to practice when volume is a factor.

• Like 1

There is some really good advice here by some experienced waterfowlers. Coues Pursuit made a great point about not shooting hens. To expand on that I highly recommend you get very good at identifying ducks. Not just being able to tell what drake is what when he is sitting on the water, but what hen is what when they are on the wing. I learned my lesson when my duck hunting buddy who has more experience hunting waterfowl than anyone I know killed a hybrid duck on a refuge. He got a ticket for shooting too many hen mallards, even though this duck clearly had some pintail genes. Point is be absolutely certain about what your are shooting at or don't shoot at all. The best thing you can do is exactly what you are doing now (don't be afraid to ask questions), and then just go out and give it a go. You'll learn quickly by your mistakes unless you're hardheaded like me and things have to be beaten into your brain.

Thanks for the different version of hen to drake ratio Coues Pursuit. I actually have more hens than drakes so I'm going to try that next time. I generally hunt early in the season and some hard to get to areas, so maybe that's why the >drakes do OK. I always thought of the colors being attractive. Your way makes a ton of sense though, especially late in the season.

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials

The best thing you can do is exactly what you are doing now (don't be afraid to ask questions), and then just go out and give it a go.

What Heat said is dead on. Ask, ask, ask and read, read, read. What works one day won’t work the next. You gotta learn different tactics and how to read the birds.

As was said earlier, very few waterfowlers will give you their spots or even general areas since there is so little duck hunting real estate in Arizona. However most of us are glad to give suggestions and help. If you’re willing to pay for gas and haul decoys someone may let you tag along too to show you the basics.

Yup, there is a reason this thread went an entire day today with only one kind reply from Heat and yours has several replies.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/52185-looking-for-some-new-duckgoose-hunting-buddies-and-spots/

It's taken at a minimum, several thousand dollars in fuel and hundreds of days in the field the last few years to know my what and where about ducks in this state. I really enjoy helping educate people, and it's the best thing I can do for both waterfowl and waterfowlers, just can't afford to on the "where." You made the impression you could find that on your own, that's awesome and best of luck.

Yup, there is a reason this thread went an entire day today with only one kind reply from Heat and yours has several replies.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/52185-looking-for-some-new-duckgoose-hunting-buddies-and-spots/

It's taken at a minimum, several thousand dollars in fuel and hundreds of days in the field the last few years to know my what and where about ducks in this state. I really enjoy helping educate people, and it's the best thing I can do for both waterfowl and waterfowlers, just can't afford to on the "where." You made the impression you could find that on your own, that's awesome and best of luck.

Thanks for recognizing that. I realize the amount of hard work and dedication it takes to hunt any animal and would never expect people to just hand over their hard earned spots so I don't ask. I truly appreciate all of the great info this thread has gathered and will take all of it into consideration this fall. My main concern after reading all of these posts is the etiquette issue akaspecials linked to. The only thing I hate about hunting is the amount of disrespect I see in the field. I can only hope duck hunters are a different breed. At the same time I hope I don't piss off some of the veterans while I learn the ropes ha ha.

Thanks for recognizing that. I realize the amount of hard work and dedication it takes to hunt any animal and would never expect people to just hand over their hard earned spots so I don't ask. I truly appreciate all of the great info this thread has gathered and will take all of it into consideration this fall. My main concern after reading all of these posts is the etiquette issue akaspecials linked to. The #1 thing I hate about dove hunting is the amount of disrespect I see in the field. I can only hope duck hunters are a different breed. At the same time I hope I don't piss off some of the veterans while I learn the ropes ha ha.

The fact that you care is what matters. Its public land, get out there, learn what you can when you can and enjoy it!

The main thing is, only shoot at birds within killing range and hide well.

If you do those 2 things, you will be successful in bagging birds and you will meet people in the field that want to hunt with you, that will invite you into their group, guaranteed.

• Like 1