Anyone have tips on setting up a blind on public land? Do you just try to brush yourself in as much as possible before the sun comes up, use a layout blind, or physically build something before your hunt and hope no one takes it?

Anyone have tips on setting up a blind on public land? Do you just try to brush yourself in as much as possible before the sun comes up, use a layout blind, or physically build something before your hunt and hope no one takes it?

Entirely dependent on where the birds are and what the wind is doing.

I use a layout blind anytime it's possible, they can conceal everything in 360 degrees except your face and I usually don't leave a trace of my existence when I'm done for the day. They can also be warm and comfortable when it's freezing. My dogs first limit at 9 months on a local reservoir, I was in a layout blind and I was stacking my ducks on the log beside me, shot the limit by 8am.

post-3844-0-07582900-1411684084_thumb.jpg

The layout blind concealed me so well while I was waiting for my buddies to finish their limits a quarter mile away, I had a red-tailed hawk start to circle my ducks on the log and eventually he swooped down incredibly fast. I waited as long as I could until I was literally a bit scared and I jumped out of my blind and watched him crap as he hit the brakes! It was an amazing experience! I also had a group of turkeys approach a white mountain marsh from behind me in 2012. The dog turned around and scared the crap out of the turkeys when they were only 20 yards away! Point is, layout blinds conceal everything.

If it isn't possible, build the best brush blind you can by getting in early. The better your blind the closer the ducks will get before they flare, or better yet, they will land in your decoys.

It's an awesome feeling to fool a wily 'ol greenhead or sprig into landing in your spread, watch their "uh oh" face and then drop them on their way out!

• Like 1

Great topic :)

Was thinking about trying some jump shooting this year and was wondering with steel shot how close you need to be to effectively kill ducks or geese. I was given some Remington 3" #2 steel and Winchester 3 1/2" T steel (these are not hypervelocity loads, more like standard magnums). These seem to pattern well with Carlson chokes (mod for T shot and full for the #2 shot) in my Versa Max and would also check with my Pattern Master choke if using the T shot on geese. I know how tight a pattern needs to be to kill a turkey with HD shot or lead plated shot. I once tried steel T shot on a coyote and penetration was really poor compared to lead. I assume the number of hits and the yardage will play a big role. Seems like we get some good activity on 5000-6000 ft waterholes for a couple weeks each year.

Thanks

Stewart

Great topic :)

Was thinking about trying some jump shooting this year and was wondering with steel shot how close you need to be to effectively kill ducks or geese.

I'm not an expert in shotgun ballistics and never jump shoot but I shoot a Remington 870 SuperMag with 3" Kent Fasteel in BB or 2's and I am effective to 50 yards max. I usually bring my rangefinder and will put my farthest decoy at this distance and only shoot if the birds are on my side of it.

Whatever it takes to get a couple pellets in their head, I shoot with huge leads and let the birds fly themselves into the shot.

CouesPursuit - What if anything do you do to conceal your dog? Kennel?

Until this year, in a layout session, the vest/parka in the photo above was the most camo he had. If he is in my bass tracker's blind or we build a brush blind, I make a 'place' for him.

This year, for various reasons, I have been training him in a layout blind of his own. I have heard a lot from both sides of the debate, that 1) ducks don't care about the dog they see animals all the time in areas they frequent and 2) the ducks are shot over dogs all the time of course they flare from them. I would lean towards the birds don't care until my dog's tail starts wagging like crazy and then they cue in on any weaknesses I have in/near the blind. I'll find out soon enough which side of the debate fence I'm on, the start of my hypothesis testing commences this Friday!

• Like 1

arizonawidernesshunter, one thing you may find with steel. Your normal choke with lead loads will be far to tight. Took me a long time to buy into this but finally started using an improved where i would normally use a mod. Mod when i would normally use full. Made the world of difference. Turned my cripples to kills and many misses to kills. Was extremely counter intuitive and I was way too stubborn. I puddle jump ducks down south once deer hunting is over at least one a week until Jan.

americanthunder. Also don't overlook using heavy shot or equiv. may be expensive but I sure use a lot less of it. Always have some steel around for cripples. Also for those of us without dogs. A fishing pole with heavy line, a really large bobber and huge treble hook will be your best friend when it comes time to get your prizes out of the drink. Wading in stock ponds can really suck and can even be quite dangerous. Had one heck of a fun experience with chest wadders and some very deep mud in the middle of a stock pond.

• Like 2

Location location location. Throw your calls out the window unless you know what you are doing. 3" #3 shot is the largest shot you need. Go wih someone who knows if possible the first time. I think learning what is within effective range is hardest thing for first timers. Shooting at long ducks not only educates them but will make you loose confidence in your gun etc. if they're within 50 yards and you put a pattern of 3" 3's across them they are done. If they aren't falling they're probably to far.

• Like 1

A Patternmaster choke tube is a must for steel in my opinion. It kills duck dead and causes far less crippled birds. I shoot it with 3" #3 shot and it kills clean out to 50 yards. Buy good shells, Winchester Expert and cheap steel loads are crap. Spend a few more dollars a box and you will end up with twice as many birds. I buy my shells by the case at the end of season and a lot of places have huge discounts and free shipping. I have gotten excellent deals at Roger's Sporting Goods towards the end of season.

• Like 1

Good point about having a good gun it helps a lot with less crippled birds. I love my Carlson choke tube, I have a benelli super black eagle with a 28in barrel. After using black clouds I will never shoot anything else 3 1/2 inch 3 shot does the job.

It's definitely duck season!!!! First time this fall I've heard them fly over my phoenix home! Can't wait for the honkers to start flying in