Sign in to follow this  
couesnewbie

Coues with a 30-06

I'm hunting coues for the first time here in Arizona. I only have a 30-06 that I have used before for mulies and others. Does this seem to be too much gun for these llittle deer? I don't have the funds right now to get something a little small with a flatter trajectory, so is this gun fine or are there some things that I should woory about.

couesnewbie

I hunt with a 300 Win. Mag., not because its the only rifle I have, but because in my opinion you can never have to much gun! Your 30-06 is an excellent cartridge. If you want a flatter trajectory, try some 125 grain bullets out of it. Even factory loads with this bullet exceed 2900 fps. Good luck.

Kevin

Your 30-06 will work just fine. If you want a flatter trajectory, you can try some of the Hornady Light Magnum ammunition in 30-06 with the 150 grain SST Interbond bullet.

Doug/RedRabbit

Couesnewbie,

Your .30-06 will work just fine. I shot my first coues with one and it tipped him right over. Take a look at the Hornady 150 grain light magnum ammo. It shoots 100 yard groups at under one inch in my gun and also adds about 100-200 feet per second in muzzel velocity.

Many people like to shoot magnum's for coues because the magnum calibers offer flatter trajectory. Most of them are overkill but people still like to have the additional 100-200 yards of effective shooting range just in case.

You'll be just fine with your .30-06!

Good luck!

Guest Ernesto C

I agree with my fellow members,the 30-06 is excellent for coues,just remeber the golden rule:practice,and practice more,know your bullet trajectory at different ranges and make sure of ot placement.

God bless.

Ernesto C.

couesnewbie

Good gun, practuice long shots 300+ yards. Write your bullet drop on a chart and tape it to your stock if you can`t remember them. Good luckCoues Addict P.S. Hey Diamondbackaz, whats up with your new little icon, man that little guys scarry! Can`t you find a cool diamondback or something it reminds me of some kind of alien or something!

Lots of good discussion on what's a good caliber for deer. We have harvested them with .243, .270, 30.06. Most important is using a weapon that you are intimately familiar with and shoot well. I suggest lots of time at the range, dialing in the gun. Most all the calibers mentioned in this string will easily handle the coues. Shot placement, knowing what your bullet does at the different ranges and staying within your comfort zone on the shot is what is important. Good luck to all

Trufletch

The 30-06 will work just fine, just make sure you shoot a bullet that is going to expand when it hits a little coues.

Try using a 150 gr. ballistic tip bullet they work very good on deer.

WHAT AMMO WOULD YOU RECOMMEND FOR .270 ?

I'M GOING ON A MEXICO HUNT IN JANUARY. FROM WHAT THEY TELL ME,400 YARD SHOTS TEND TO BE THE NORM. MOST OF MY HUNTING IS DONE WITH A BOW,SO ANY INFO AS FAR WHAT I SHOULD SHOOT OUT OF MY .270 WOULD HELP.

ALBERT

finally, someone with a real rifle. i have a special load for my .270 that jams up most other actions. so i won't list it. i shoot a 140 gr. hornady boattail with a bunch of h4350 behind it. i'm going to tinker with a new load for my youngest son just for coues. will load either 90, 100 or 110 gr bullets as hot as i can and see what it does. it should be real adequate for stubby little whitetails. for the most part, a 130 gr bullet does real well out of a .270. if you handload, you can do some neat stuff with it. main thing to pay attention to is overall cartridge length for your gun. some rifles are real short throated and won't take ammo well that will shoot out of a rifle with a longer throat. if you're going to use factory ammo, look at the hornady "light magnums" in 130 gr. don't know if they make them in 110 or not, but that would be interesting too. main thing if you're shooting a long ways is to practice. i ain't afraid to shoot 400 yards or more with my .270, but then again, i'm a heck of a shot. out to 400, i usually do the over the shoulder with the mirror deal. after that, especially if they're running, i'll shoot more conventional, like hold it in both hands. if you practice and know your rifle, a 400 yard shot with a .270 isn't unreasonable. Lark.

Albert,

Hornady's Light Magnum load with the 130 grain SST Interbond would be my first trial of factory ammo to see if it shoots well. Federal and Winchester offer loads with 130 Ballistic tips. The 140 grain Nosler Accubond load by Federal should work well also. Once you get sighted in, be sure to practice offhand at long range to determine your maximum effective range.

Have fun in Mexico.

Doug/RedRabbit

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. I'LL TRY SOME OF THESE AND SEE WHICH SHOOTS BEST. I'VE GOT A FEW MONTHS TO PLAY AROUND UNTIL MY HUNT

THANKS, ALBERT