Sign in to follow this  
uofahughes2

Mil-Dot Question

I recently put a Zeiss Conquest 6.5X20X50 on my Tikka .270 WSM -

20 MOA Rings -

Its the reticle with Mil-Dots in it-

I plan on getting turrets from Kenton for it next month when I have time to work up a load for this gun. (Unless someone has a better recommendation)

My question for the meantime is, without using the mil-dots as they are designed, can you calculate where each mil-dot hits?

Like 3rd dot down is 400 yards? I guess I would be using it like a BDC reticle if possible?

Thanks for the help.

Jake

Guest wdenike

Jake,

Short answer YES. Long answer a lot depends on whether it is a first or second focal Plane scope. As to how you accomplish the goal. 1st focal the reticle grows along with the target at higher magnifications. There for the sub tensions remain constant. Allowing you to use any dot at any power as ballistic compensation. 2nd focal the reticle remains the same, only the target grows with magnification. There for the sub tensions always change. Making ballistic compensation only accurate at a certain power. You will still need to plug in all information necessary on a ballistic calculator for your cheat card ( dope ). There is probably no chance it will come out in perfectly even yardages. Good luck! Lots of fun. Custom turrets is the way to go though. But ya can get by rather nicely with the dots.

Take care, Willie

• Like 2

I have a Nikon mil-dot scope on my ar. I used the Nikon Spot On app to calculate my dots. You can enter in a custom load with this app and it would probably be close for yours. Of course the distance on the dots will change if you change your magnification. David

• Like 1

Guest wdenike

Jake,

Research the Nikon Spot On app. As I believe it is set up for the sub tensions for Nikons BDC circles. There for will not be of help for reticles with mils. and 1/2 mill set ups. Not sure myself so check, as with anything on the internet.

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

Thank You both. It's a second focal plane scope, so in order to use it correctly (Mil-Dot) it has to be on either 10X or 12X. Can't remember.

I figured the dots would come out with goofy yardages, just wondered if there was a way to calculate where they would hit. I'll have to try that Nikon App.

Willie, do you like the Kenton turrets?

Thanks again,

Jake

Guest wdenike

Was typing the same time. :D No experience with the Kenton. But have had them talked highly of. A lot of companies doing it. But a good spinner with a cheat card is tough to beat I believe.

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

^ I don't have personal experience with the turrets from Kenton but I have been researching them a lot because I really wanted to buy a set for my scope. I would get a few people here and there saying they are awesome but I got more people saying that they won't be totally accurate due to the fact that they are for a certain elevation, temperature and all that. Maybe someone with experience can chime in

• Like 1

wdenike hit the nail on the head. Just convert your actual drops into mils so you can hold over accordingly at the designated madnification. I prefer aimimg center mass and will spin a turret before holding over. Being familiar with your gear (reticle in the case) just gives you an extra option if you needed to glance and your drop chart and make a quick shot without spinning turrets.

Making a drop chart from actual range time will help you. Different conditions (weather, altitude, humidity, temperature) all change the point of impact. Especially at longer ranges. That is the downfall of range marked turrets and something guys like huskemaw and gunwerx dont mention when selling you a turret that seems so simple. A good ballistic program will help you but it is important to confirm those numbers with rounds on target. I prefer knowing the conditions and dialing accordingly with a normal turret.

Example- My range cards for ringing steel in Yuma all summer at 200' elev. and chasing Coues in the fall at 6,000' elev for the same rifle are very different past 400-500 yds.

Bottom line is be familiar with your system, whatever way you choose to go.

• Like 1

Mil-dots will give you proper holdover at a certain distance and conditions.

Move up or down in elevation, temperatures, barometric pressure, etc. and they stay the same value, but your ballistics change. Your hold at 1400' AMSL and 85°F with a baro of 28.82 will differ from 7000' AMSL, 40°F with a baro of 26.60 greatly. Even with a flat shooting round.

My .25-06 Ackley changes dramatically from summer shooting here in the valley to hunting season up north. Drops are totally different. That is why I find out my approximate elevation I will be hunting, with an approximate temperature forecast and standard baro pressure, and use that for an estimate during hunting season. But I always carry my ballistic calculator with me on the chance I will have time to use it to get me as close to exact ballistic drop as possible.

With a 200 yard zero, a 400 yard shot might be .94 Mil (approximately 11.5") down here in the valley right now, but goes to 1.2 Mil (approximately 17.6") at 7500', 35° and 26.62 baro. 6" difference in drop at only 400 yards. 600 yards makes a bigger difference 2.2 & 36.5" to 2.7 & 57.75" difference. 11" difference is a miss or wounded animal at best on almost any game species.

So environmental factors play a huge role in LR shooting.

• Like 1

I have used both the mil dotreticle & kenton turrets. Also used the holland reicles . Decided a while back to get rid of all the scope clutter. Now use a fine duplex or target dot & m-1 tactical turrets on my leupolds with drop card,rangefinder & moa turrets I can dial into any range within a 10ft gap. Also have the ballistic program app on my i-phone. Keep all of my shots to 600yds or less.

Kentucky windage on steroids!

Nmhunter

• Like 1

iStrelok... Will do it for you on your phone and you can print the image and tape it to your stock. This takes all the figurin' out of your problems. Still a good idea to sit down and run the calculations yourself and get the 3.6" number (1 mili @ 100yds) stuck in your brain for shot adjustments on the fly.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/istrelok/id319662395?mt=8

There is an Android version as well for you non-conformists

• Like 1

one more suggestion, this one I have yet to do but will be setting up on my daughters rifle for the next scope we get.

http://customturretsystems.com/

You can order a turret label for $25. Might want to try it this way before you get the permanent version. You could get one for a different elevation than the Kenton and have more options.

Thanks everyone for the input. Started using the Strelok app, (The Nikon app worked well too) and made a dope chart that I taped to my stock that has a picture of where the mildots hit as well on 20X. It's nice having two references. I can go holdover, or I can twist the turret. Done a little bit of testing and playing around out to 400. Shot a 2-3" group at 400 using both options. Took one shot at about 700 yards, mainly out of curiosity, was off about 3 feet. There was quite a few unaccounted for variables though. Someday I'll get a chance to play out beyond 400 and really learn what I'm doing.

That gun with a muzzle brake is really fun to shoot. The good news, is the wife shoots it well also and she's the next one up with a tag.

Good luck filling that tag!