Sign in to follow this  
jeremiah lindsey

catalina bighorn

I can't edit on my phone for some reason. 14 sheep is right. Got my articles mixed up before an exam. My apologies about the error.

3 Rams died during the transplant...

I think that makes a total of 22 sheep that have been killed during this project.

Let see...5 less Rams that hunters will have an opportunity at and 17 less ewes producing more Rams for future hunters to have an opportunity at... it's not rocket science.

And for a little on sheep...

http://www.nwf.org/wildlife/wildlife-library/mammals/bighorn-sheep.aspx

Notice reintroduction efforts helped to save them from extinction.

Point is, let the biologists, scientists, and experts do their jobs. All this forum seems to do is bash, complain, and armchair quarterback every decision AZGFD makes without any thought to the future. The entitlement mentality is overwhelming.

Certainly, reintroductions of sheep are costly and more than likely will result in the deaths of some animals. However, the longterm gains must also be considered. Notice not ALL the sheep were introduced at once. This is a process aimed at controlling predation and restoring a huntable population in the future.

I have noticed that as of late you all haven't have many sheep mortalities to cheer about in this forum...perhaps the plan is working and you fail to see it or acknowledge it.

Personally, I hope the reintroduction is a grand success. I will trust the experts until then.

• Like 1

Az bighorns have even been transplanted and reintroduced in Tx. Glad we could help out to create more hunter "opportunity." But somehow those who care about opportunity bash the very experts attrmpting to create more hunting opportunity. Color me amazed and confused.

http://www.texasbighornsociety.org/index.php/about-tbs/history

Point is, let the biologists, scientists, and experts do their jobs. All this forum seems to do is bash, complain, and armchair quarterback every decision AZGFD makes without any thought to the future. The entitlement mentality is overwhelming.

I have noticed that as of late you all haven't have many sheep mortalities to cheer about in this forum...perhaps the plan is working and you fail to see it or acknowledge it.

Personally, I hope the reintroduction is a grand success. I will trust the experts until then.

I just read this entire thread, and nothing I saw here was bashing G&F. AZLance just stated the facts about the project. If stating the facts is "negative" or "bashing", that is ridiculous. And as far as letting the "biologists, scientists, and experts do their job", who is hindering them or stopping them? I think letting them do their jobs is how we have got to where we are now, with 22 dead sheep.

I for one, hope the sheep succeed in the Catalina's, as I hope to draw a tag one day and kill a nice Ram up there. But right now, I'm not sure that will ever happen.

Az bighorns have even been transplanted and reintroduced in Tx. Glad we could help out to create more hunter "opportunity." But somehow those who care about opportunity bash the very experts attrmpting to create more hunting opportunity. Color me amazed and confused.http://www.texasbighornsociety.org/index.php/about-tbs/history

It sounds like Texas is doing it right! Maybe our G&F can send some biologists over there and learn how to do this the right way.