Sign in to follow this  
kidso

Humidity effects on shooting?

I have been shooting my "new" Destroyer 350 LE for about 10 months now. I average about 80 arrows a week shooting, so 40 weeks x 80 = 3,200 arrows shot. I have had my HHA slider sight set for about six months now with little to no further adjustments. I shot last week and everything was right on. I shot about three days ago after the rain and it was very humid. I could hear my arrows slicing through the wet air! My slider sight markings showed that I was shooting about 8 yards short at each yardage marking from 40-80 yards. Today, I shot again, and everything was right on. Anyone experience this humidity effect?

And no, my form did not change and I did no tinkering with my equipment.

Atmosphere variants certainly make a difference.

When I worked in aviation meteorology, we continuously recalculated an aerodynamic value called Pressure Altitude.

Barometric pressure, temperature, humidity all have a direct impact on flight characteristics.

I use a NAP drop away rest. Everything shot fine today, but three days ago, I was deeply shaken, especially with the late archery elk hunts around the corner.

"....shaken, never stirred."

....famous quote from the 213 year old female elf on "The Santa Clause" when asked what her secret was to making delicious hot chocolate....

Im thinkin she stole from Bond, James Bond.

I forgot about my own thread....Anyways, I have shot twice now since the humidity and all my shots have been right on! So, the humidity definitely was the culprit.

I didn't notice much of a difference shooting in humid conditions. There were some early mornings where it had rained the night before and my arrow shafts and fletchings were wet from flying through the humid air. POI didn't seem to be affected, and if it was it was not enough to notice.

I definitely noticed the change in altitude. Shooting at 3000 feet vs 9000 feet I had to adjust my pins.

When i shot the 4th of July sunrise shoot, I was shooting x's all day. Even the rain came down, I was missing low until I realized what was going on.