Sign in to follow this  
shedghost

20b Help

A greenhorn here still looking for his first Buck. Drew 20B for 2nd choice and although everything I could research on the web about the Unit said it's pretty weak for deer, I'm still excited. Just need to know if anyone has been in the unit recently and seen any bucks, or areas they recommend. I will be scouting the next three weekends and want to focus on one area. I did take Table Mesa road and scouted a bit this past weekend, but would rather focus on a different area. Too much atv traffic. I had been back to Tip Top earlier in the year and there were a lot of tanks back in there.

Do you guys recommend hunting the transition area from scrub to pines or lower, maybe off of Castle Hot Springs road?

I should say I want to be away from other hunters, so if anyone has any tips where the most traffic will be. There were 400 tags issued so I'm sure some areas get concentrated.

All advice appreciated.

find the water- we had good luck in the areas west of bumblebee along the creek take a drive on NF 684 - just before bumble bee

wonders back into the bradshaws -

have not been in there in a couple yrs - not sure what the storms have done to the creek crossings / roads but we always saw deer!

Sounds like it's unanimous. I've only been to Crown King once and I came up from Prescott so this area is all new to me.

I'll start there looking for water sources and will update you guys with pics. Thanks again.

That road to tip top was terrible from the storm so I'm assuming it's bad up there, but I can hike.

everything I could research on the web about the Unit said it's pretty weak for deer,

The above statement is kinda funny. :) plenty of deer and some big deer. drop tines, non typicals, and well every kind of muley except in my experience not very heavy antlered.. seen tall, seen wide, not so much heavy. good luck!

Drove up to the Bumblee Exit for the Day...planning overnight trip next week where I can be glassing evening and morning. Don't have trailer for quad yet so I ended up just hiking down into Bumblee Creek and west of the creek on some ridges. Raccoon and Javalina sign in the creek, and tons of Cattle. No deer tracks or sign that I could see. Don't think I want to risk taking my truck back there on 684 as it is primary vehicle. Maybe I will focus on entering the unit from Table Mesa road since I can get my quad there. Or up the road to crown king and get west of the creek like you guys suggested. A lot of traffic, jeeps, quads, bikes

Elkaholic- The crossing of Bumble Bee creek was extremely passable, lots of sand but no boulders...but the road leading in and up into bradshaws was pretty rough .Talked to a guy who was coming out and he said the storms really washed out a lot of that 684 road. So I actually would really like to go down that road if traffic is light.

Airmark, I have the Nov 7 General Hunt, best wishes on your Muzzy Hunt

Hoghnter- I know it makes you smile, but it's true. A lot of talk how the fire last decade and drought has really hurt the numbers. Research hunting in 21 or 23 and there are tons of forums, posts, pics of successful hunts...but 20b ...not much. Glad to know there are nice deer in their, it gives me hope.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll keep you all posted with pictures and stories

I had this hunt back in 2012, it was my first choice. I started scouting in July in areas I'd seen deer, usually going out once a week checking trail cams and dealing with mosquitos and rattle snakes. I hunted hard for seven days straight and saw two bucks on the last day. Ended up shooting the bigger one, a wide 3x3. I'll be honest, this hunt is hard. Saw does almost daily.

I spent most of my time in the Bumblebee area, mainly south of Cleator. You'll need a 4x4 to get back there. I beat my Tacoma up pretty good. I saw the most deer in this area. Only spent one morning up near Crown King. I wish I would have spent more time scouting up there.

I tagged out in the Lake Pleasant area. I have seen monster mule deer in there, but there are just too many people. The weekends are a complete zoo. I had to hike in a pretty decent way to get away from the weekend warrior quads and target shooters. The entire area is developing way too fast, so if you plan on going this route park your vehicle and put some miles on your boots before sunrise.

I am planning on heading out to 20B with an archery tag when I come home on leave in December. Not really sure where I'll go.

mpmoody, Seeing how much traffic was on that bumble road, I can only imagine the castle hot springs road is bad. I think I'm going to have to do like you said, hike a lot of miles before it gets light, or bivy sack on a side of a hill close to where I want to set up. I'll let you know if I find anything or see anything, maybe it can help you with your Dec Hunt.