varnco

Unit 33.. coming soon. Need help with getting there at night.

So, I've got the early hunt for Oct 24 in Unit 33, and looking forward to it. Going to get one last day of scouting in this Sunday and see if we can't find a spot or two to settle on.

Focusing on the N. Catalina south of Oracle and east of Oracle Ridge.

Whatever place we find to hike out to, we would like to be there at sunup, so start hiking out at about 4:30 but there's a new moon on the 23rd, which means it's gonna be pretty dark, with no help from the moon.

So, is 4:30 too early to get out to the spot (1.5 miles deep, off the road), or given that there's a new moon on the 23rd, is it best to wait until about nautical twilight (5:30 a.m.), so there's a bit of light? I do want to get setup and glassing when the buck's alarm goes off at 6:30. :-)

Any issues with using a flashlight if we decide to head out sooner - to make sure the hunting trip doesn't end before it gets started, if you know what I mean, or will we basically alert all dear within 3 miles of a human approaching?

Thanks for any and all advice.

+1 on the headlamp. Deer are used to critters moving around at night. Whatever you do just don't be talking up a storm on the hike in. Pick a spot on your scouting trip and make sure you know your way in. Nothing worse than come sunup and you find yourself 50-100yds from where you wanted to be.

I like a flash light over a head lamp so you can keep it pointed towards the ground at all times. Use a GPS if you got it so you don't zig-zag your way into your spot and waste time. Time the walk in ahead of time so your are set up and ready to glass about 45 minutes before sunrise. Legal shooting light is usually about 30 minutes before sunrise (when you can safely identify your target and beyond). Remember walking in the dark typically takes a little longer than in the daylight. If I accidently knock over a rock or snap a stick on the way in I will try and kill the light and set motionless for about 5 minutes until the attention is off you then begin moving again. Above all keep it slow and quiet.

Thanks all.... wasn't sure if flashlight was "approved" measure that wouldn't tick off any others that perhaps camped out that night to only awake with all their deer scared off by a Cyclops trapesing through in the dark of night.

LOL... a stream of humans with one headlight strapped to their foreheads heading into the mountains....

+1 on GPS (have done lots of zigzagging in the dark and almost missed my spot) and never thought about the flashlight vs headlamp. I've always gone with headlamp out of convenience but being able to keep it pointed down is good. I'm used to hunting where the deer are used to illegals and smugglers moving at night anyway. :o

I'll use both, headlamp is pointed 10-15' ahead so I don't walk off a cliff, into cactus, a tree, the boogie man, etc. the stream light is at my feet (or a few feet ahead) for the closer dangers. Snakes, fences, Sasquatch's, what have you. Shut em off at the glassing or shooting spot or use a red lens. I'm usually early enough for a quick nap or quite breakfast before glassing.

I like red lenses a lot when walking in at night. Don't spook game as much and preserves your night vision. Nothing worse than your well meaning buddy shining a white light in your face. I fish at night, all night sometimes with a red lensed headlamp. Either on boat or walking the shore. It's a little creepy when a coyote or something sends back red reflection from its eyes.

For hunting in 33, an early start is better. I had that hunt a few years ago. Lots of road and rude hunters on the early hunt. In some areas it must also be required that you never shut off your 4 wheeler for the entire hunt.

We hiked a couple miles up a ridge with no vehicle access from any other side and both killed little deer. My first Coues and I killed on the last day, so I was happy with my little guy.

• Like 1