4Falls

Ready for the late hunt.

Anyone ever had any success on late archery hunts? Always hear about the tags drawn but never success stories

Oh and besides tjhunt cause he scores in 22 every fricken year on them hunts, I swear someone ties em to a tree for him! Haha just playin TJ

Yeah good luck to ya! How do you normally hunt em? Spot and stalk morning evening and sit water during the day?

Got my first bull sat night. Spike. Seen lots of bulls. Sat water every night made a 60 yard shot.going to try and post pictures later

I was hunting solo as usual. Due to work and family obligations I had no time to scout. My plan A and B spots were occupied.

Opening morning found me still hunting around randomly. I checked a tank I had been to years ago and found it to have alot of sign. I sat there Friday night and again Saturday morning. Something just told me that this wasnt the place to be so I drug up and blasted out to some country Ive always wanted to hunt. After hiking in to multiple locations and finding nothing but old sign I returned to the four-wheeler a bit discouraged.

I started looking over my maps and a certain spot kept attracting my eye. Its kind of an old burn with a large tank. I looked at my phone it was 2:30, if I could make it there in 30 minutes I could hunt there tonite. I arrived at the location got set up and was in the blind by 3:05. Promptly at 3:10 a herd of cattle showed up. After they stared at the blind for a while they all took drinks and to my surprise moved on.

The wind was blowing pretty good and I was doubtful my hasty blind set-up was going to last. Due to the wind I wasnt able to hear the herd approach, they just magically appeared. A spike was first to the water, and though I had not set my goals real high for this hunt I waited a bit to see if maybe there was a raghorn in the group. After 8 more cows and calves and one more spike all came into view I made the decision to shoot the first spike. He was at 50 yards and presenting a perfect shot. I drew back, settled the sight and let the arrow do the rest.

I heard the arrow hit him, then hit the dirt. He bounced out another 20 yards and all the other elk gathered around him. His head went down he coughed up blood and I knew he was done. His butt hit the ground then the rest of him followed. The other elk just looked at him then went back to their normal routine. I looked at my phone it was 4:10.

As I approached him the other elk jogged away. The arrow had hit right where I had hoped just back of his shoulder and had passed completely through exiting through the back part of his off shoulder blade. I texted my wife and a couple buddies, took some pictures and got to work. I got all the meat back to camp and hung and decided then to have a cocktail and go back for the rest of my gear in the morning.

It was a short but sweet hunt and I couldn't be happier. The family and I enjoyed his delicious tenderloins last night.

Just to add, as I was quartering him up his herd came back to the tank twice. Also another two herds followed later. Bulls were even bugling just out of sight and a fox came by to see what I was up to.

• Like 5

Nice job guys.

All I know is that it was a cold son of a gun with my nephew hunting this morning.

Brian

I was hunting solo as usual. Due to work and family obligations I had no time to scout. My plan A and B spots were occupied.

Opening morning found me still hunting around randomly. I checked a tank I had been to years ago and found it to have alot of sign. I sat there Friday night and again Saturday morning. Something just told me that this wasnt the place to be so I drug up and blasted out to some country Ive always wanted to hunt. After hiking in to multiple locations and finding nothing but old sign I returned to the four-wheeler a bit discouraged.

I started looking over my maps and a certain spot kept attracting my eye. Its kind of an old burn with a large tank. I looked at my phone it was 2:30, if I could make it there in 30 minutes I could hunt there tonite. I arrived at the location got set up and was in the blind by 3:05. Promptly at 3:10 a herd of cattle showed up. After they stared at the blind for a while they all took drinks and to my surprise moved on.

The wind was blowing pretty good and I was doubtful my hasty blind set-up was going to last. Due to the wind I wasnt able to hear the herd approach, they just magically appeared. A spike was first to the water, and though I had not set my goals real high for this hunt I waited a bit to see if maybe there was a raghorn in the group. After 8 more cows and calves and one more spike all came into view I made the decision to shoot the first spike. He was at 50 yards and presenting a perfect shot. I drew back, settled the sight and let the arrow do the rest.

I heard the arrow hit him, then hit the dirt. He bounced out another 20 yards and all the other elk gathered around him. His head went down he coughed up blood and I knew he was done. His butt hit the ground then the rest of him followed. The other elk just looked at him then went back to their normal routine. I looked at my phone it was 4:10.

As I approached him the other elk jogged away. The arrow had hit right where I had hoped just back of his shoulder and had passed completely through exiting through the back part of his off shoulder blade. I texted my wife and a couple buddies, took some pictures and got to work. I got all the meat back to camp and hung and decided then to have a cocktail and go back for the rest of my gear in the morning.

It was a short but sweet hunt and I couldn't be happier. The family and I enjoyed his delicious tenderloins last night.

Just to add, as I was quartering him up his herd came back to the tank twice. Also another two herds followed later. Bulls were even bugling just out of sight and a fox came by to see what I was up to.

Even with no time to scout you got it done good job that's some good eating there.

Anyone ever had any success on late archery hunts? Always hear about the tags drawn but never success stories

A friend got it done on his third day. He couldn't be happier.