Whitetail Buck Deer

Accuracy help

I am shooting a howa 1500 .300 win, a vortex 4x16x 50mm hslr. I shot yesterday and I am all over the place I have a good rest and cannot get a group under4-6 inches at 50yds. I also had another guy who I know shoots very good and shoots clovers consistently shoot my rifle an he had the same results, last night we took the scope off scope mounts checked everything retorqued everything to spec, checked the action screws under the rifle and same result, I called howa and they said they recommend 180gr and think that it might be off because the bullet is comin out of the muzzle to fast to stabilize. Does this sound like the problem or could they just be blowing smoke?!

What twist rate is the barrel? Is your stock glass bedded or barrel free floated? From what I have seen and heard of if there is any sort of pressure point on the barrel it can cause that. Or maybe your scope is broken. Maybe thrown it on another gun and see how it shoots. And as dumb as it sounds is it the right caliber ammo? (Only reason I ask is because I sighted my 3006 in with a friend while he was sighting in his .270 and after shooting a box of shells and missing paper at 50 I realized I just shot his whole box of ammo haha)

• Like 1

Unfortunately it's probably the scope. You might have tightened the rings too much. I did that once.

Ha ha ya I am using .300, the twist 1-10 the only thing I ve done to it was put a muzzle break on the guy at legacy sports who imports howa said the muzzle break could have something to do with it so I told him why would long range or precision shooters put a muzzle break on their rifles, he said he had to talk to their gun tech until he gets back with me..

What twist rate is the barrel? Is your stock glass bedded or barrel free floated? From what I have seen and heard of if there is any sort of pressure point on the barrel it can cause that. Or maybe your scope is broken. Maybe thrown it on another gun and see how it shoots. And as dumb as it sounds is it the right caliber ammo? (Only reason I ask is because I sighted my 3006 in with a friend while he was sighting in his .270 and after shooting a box of shells and missing paper at 50 I realized I just shot his whole box of ammo haha)

im glad he didn't shoot yours!! Either way it coulda ended very bad. Glad your Both ok and not missing any body parts.

Do you have the factory plastic stock on it? If so get rid of it ASAP! I have the same rifle and once I installed a boyds stock, muzzle break, timney trigger and had it glass bedded I was able to shrink my groups to .75 @ 100 yards. Before that I had a hard time keeping a 5 inch group. The scope could be the problem as well.

• Like 1

That is which one I had. On mine it was real flimsy up by the barrel which cause a lot of inconsistency. Might be something to look at.

Ya I noticed it was flimsy also but did not think much of it, it's just I don't wanna go out and just start buying random to try and get it fixed its a pain in the ace and driving me crazy, do you think the round could be an issue?

I have read that they are decent but there are better options out there.. When you have that flex and it puts different pressures on the barrel at different times, its hard to get consistent results. Where are you located?

Like a couple others have said it could be the scope. I would swap it out and try another scope or put that scope on a different rifle and shoot it. Start eliminating one thing at a time. Ammo would be another thing you could try different. Have you ever shot the rifle when it did group well?

I'm in Florence ill try the scope on a different rifle , and maybe a proven scope on my rifle and go from there, if it doesn't work maybe throw a few shots of different ammo through it?... Other than that send it back to howa and have them check it.....kaffer what bullet did you put through howa?