Sign in to follow this  
bgshooter

Kid's first squirrel hunt

I took the Thanksgiving week off from work and took my kids on their first squirrel hunt and they had a blast. Took some pics and thought I'd share.

Here they are ready to start the hunt. My younger son (left) is holding my Marlin 60 and my older son (right) has his Crickett.

post-12541-0-22084700-1417623296_thumb.jpg

My older son taking aim at the first squirrel we spotted. Unfortunately he missed and that squirrel lived to see another day.

post-12541-0-73402500-1417623300_thumb.jpg

Here they are with the first kill of the day. My older son took a couple shots and missed but the little guy stuck around. He's a pretty good shot so I wondered if his Crickett's scope was off. I took the third shot and took it down. Now we know the rifle is fine and my son was missing due to being over excited.

post-12541-0-41049100-1417623304_thumb.jpg

Our second kill and my older son was able to keep himself calm and got him with the first shot. Little bro was his cheering section and didn't take any shots that day. He's still working on his skills in the shooting range.

post-12541-0-86953600-1417623307_thumb.jpg

Here's the remains of some animal we saw while driving around in the woods.

post-12541-0-53657500-1417623314_thumb.jpg

And here's the final pic of the 3 we got that day. I took down the 3rd one with my Marlin. All in all it was a fun day and the kids can't wait for the next trip.

post-12541-0-57671900-1417623317_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That's a great time right there! I am just getting my son started into squirrel hunting; it's a great activity to get their aim down well. Congrats on a fun hunt!

That is too cool! Congratulations to your boys (and you)! Awesome to see the kids getting involved and being successful/having fun. I'll never forget my first squirrel hunt, and I'm certain that your boys won't either.

We had them as part of our thanksgiving meal and they turned out really good. I found a great recipe on YouTube. We were all shocked at how tender the meat was. I was the only one that took more than a couple bites because they're all still getting used to the idea of eating game meat. But the more we hunt, the more they'll get used to it.

My daugther got her first one too!

post-52-0-30297800-1418332159_thumb.jpg

• Like 1