Silver Bullet

Controlled Burn in Unit 22N

I was up scouting yesterday for my December rifle hunt in 22N, and it appears someone thought it makes sense to do a controlled burn in 22N right off the Control Road. This burn runs the Control Road for about 4 miles going west from Whispering Pines. The canyons were full of smoke....kinda reminded me of last years hunt with the snow and fog...ha.

My question is what does this do to the elk? Do they tend to ignor it and stay put, or do the move to a different area due to the smoke?

May have to change my plan and hunt closer to the Rim?

Good luck to all....

I was up scouting yesterday for my December rifle hunt in 22N, and it appears someone thought it makes sense to do a controlled burn in 22N right off the Control Road. This burn runs the Control Road for about 4 miles going west from Whispering Pines. The canyons were full of smoke....kinda reminded me of last years hunt with the snow and fog...ha.

My question is what does this do to the elk? Do they tend to ignor it and stay put, or do the move to a different area due to the smoke?

May have to change my plan and hunt closer to the Rim?

Good luck to all....

they did the same last year, was still burning during the Jan. archery deer. get up high and glass.

I've seen pics of them standing in smoldering burns eating away!

James

Great my wife has a tag for that unit we leave in the am. Have to break the news she been chomping at the bit

I had a late archery hunt in 22 when they were having a control burn. I was sitting a tank when a smoldering oak tree flamed back up. Just as I thought Id better get going... a whole herd of cows and calves came bumbling in. They didnt seem to mind the burning tree at all until it fell over then they stampeded. 30 minutes later they were back. Two days later I shot at and missed a bull off the same tank.

A small seep about a 1/4 mile away had a melted trail camera and the skeleton of a pop up ground blind on it.

• Like 1