Noworries

One Step Closer to my Slam

Here is a picture of the Osceola that I was fortunate to harvest a couple weeks ago in Florida. Wow there is a lot of birds down there. I have a first hunt unit 7 tag in AZ this spring. I have always hunted 23 here in AZ so 7 is a new challenge. Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

post-66-1174495365_thumb.jpg

No c/c action so I am distracting myself with Turkey talk.

Eric

Nice iridescence on the neck feathers above the breast. Did the head have an orange color behind the blue cheeks?

Have a fun hunt in 7. May not be a snow line left to hunt by the end of April.

Doug~RR

I hunted with Peace River Outfitters. We flew in to Fort Myers and drove about an hour from there. Birds were talking every day but we had to work to pull Toms away from the hens. The wierdest thing was that I don't remember seeing a single jake. Thanks for the comments we had a blast. One of the guides does archery gator hunts on Lake Okachobee???? I am seriously considering it if I don't draw anything here for the fall.

Eric

noworries,

that is super!! I've always wanted to head down there for an Oceola bird..musta been a unique hunt down in the palmetto swamps!! Were there lots of birds?? Were they very vocal like a Rio?

They are all that I lack for the Slam.. I have tons of Rios, one Eastern bird from the Ozarks in Arkansas, and one Merrriams from NM..

after that slam is done, we'll have to go and find them Gould's and Ocelated in MX to get that "super slam"!!

congrats again on a really nice bird!

Now that's a good way to pass the time!

Congrats and good luck on your slam.

Same to you Scottyboy.

p.s. Did you see the post Coosefan put on here recently about booking a Goulds hunt in Mexico?

I went out Saturday to do some scouting. It was a great trip. My dad, my son, and my dog all in the woods together. We found quite a few tracks, scratching spots, and turkey turds. Twice we got out of the truck to look around because it looked good for turkey and found sign within 10 yards of the truck. I put the camera out and hope to check it this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted. Here are a few pics.

Turkey Tracks

post-66-1174934330_thumb.jpg

Scratching in the Pines

post-66-1174934430_thumb.jpg

The crew with a shed we found while out & about.

post-66-1174934521_thumb.jpg