Sign in to follow this  
Coues assassin

Havalon knife, which one?

I have the havalon piranta and outdoor edge razor blaze, both are extremely sharp. IMO the outdoor edge is the only way to go, it's more sturdy, feels better in my hand and a lot easier/safer to change the blade.

+1

Ive quatered up 2 WTs with the same blade on my Piranta. Definitely need a good pocket knife to get thru the leg joints, otherwise you risk a broken blade. I pack out the used blades, but I've heard of hunters breaking them in half and sticking them in the gut pile for the coyotes.

That's messed up.

Ive quatered up 2 WTs with the same blade on my Piranta. Definitely need a good pocket knife to get thru the leg joints, otherwise you risk a broken blade. I pack out the used blades, but I've heard of hunters breaking them in half and sticking them in the gut pile for the coyotes.

That's messed up.

I agree, which is why i pack out my old blades.

If I had to pick just one knife, the Havalon or Outdoor Edge, I would pick the Havalon. Having said that I own and carry both. I find myself using the Havalon more often but I like that the Outdoor Edge is a little bigger and more sturdy. The one thing I don't like about the Outdoor Edge is that I find myself pushing the blade release accidentally while using it which causes the blade to come out and it isn't quite as sharp as the Havalon. You can't go wrong with either of them, they are both great knives.

My buddy just pointed out to me that Eastmans' is giving away the Outdoor Edge with any subscription...time for me to renew anyway. :D

That's how I got mine. I really like it. I also have the Swing Blade, which I like too. Just got to be careful "swinging" from one to the other.