COOSEFAN

Arizona Elk Society Banquet

Just curious who all is going to the banquet this Sat. I'll be there and know of several other CWT.com people that will be there as well, should be fun as usual! JIM>

I will be there. Actually I will be there tomorow morning at 8 to get it setup. Should be a blast though.

Just curious who all is going to the banquet this Sat. I'll be there and know of several other CWT.com people that will be there as well, should be fun as usual! JIM>

Where is it and what time i would like to go, even if i never get a fricken tag

We get a corporate table every year. I will be there. :D

Just look for the 18 year old running around doing misc. jobs. That'll be me :P

The banquet was a success! Netted over $300,000 for AZ wildlife! The Auction Elk tag was an upset though, it went for $85,000.00 and was unfortunately surrounded by a little bit of controversy.....some thought the Auctioneer sold it too fast, and AZ probably lost out on another $30-40,000.00! The bidders froze up at $85,000 and thought it would keep going with some other guys waiting to start bidding after it hit $100,000....snooze ya looze I guess, kinda unfortunate thinking about the money lost, but someone got a smokin' deal! Got to meet a few CWT.com guys also.........good times! JIM>

It was a blast at the banquet this year. Now I am broke and I didnt come home with anything but it went to a good cause so I am happy.

The banquet was a success! Netted over $300,000 for AZ wildlife! The Auction Elk tag was an upset though, it went for $85,000.00 and was unfortunately surrounded by a little bit of controversy.....some thought the Auctioneer sold it too fast, and AZ probably lost out on another $30-40,000.00! The bidders froze up at $85,000 and thought it would keep going with some other guys waiting to start bidding after it hit $100,000....snooze ya looze I guess, kinda unfortunate thinking about the money lost, but someone got a smokin' deal! Got to meet a few CWT.com guys also.........good times! JIM>

Those of you who were there, how do you recall the sale of the auction tag? I heard that after 85k was bid the auctioneer said "do I hear 90k (pause for no more than a couple of seconds)... SOLD!!!" No, going once, going twice, then SOLD, just SOLD. I also heard that there was quite an uproar and it got a little ugly and that there were multiple bidders willing to go significantly higher, and hadn't even started bidding. This is all stuff that I heard from a friend of a friend of a guy that knows somebody that might be related to somebody that..... (you guys get the point and know how rumors can grow).

Like COOSEFAN said, AZ wildlife may have lost out on a big chunk of change which is unfortunate. I just hope that there wasn't any foul play involved, but when you start talking that much money I wouldn't doubt anything.

So you guys that were there, how'd it play out?

Those of you who were there, how do you recall the sale of the auction tag? I heard that after 85k was bid the auctioneer said "do I hear 90k (pause for no more than a couple of seconds)... SOLD!!!" No, going once, going twice, then SOLD, just SOLD. I also heard that there was quite an uproar and it got a little ugly and that there were multiple bidders willing to go significantly higher, and hadn't even started bidding. This is all stuff that I heard from a friend of a friend of a guy that knows somebody that might be related to somebody that..... (you guys get the point and know how rumors can grow).

Like COOSEFAN said, AZ wildlife may have lost out on a big chunk of change which is unfortunate. I just hope that there wasn't any foul play involved, but when you start talking that much money I wouldn't doubt anything.

So you guys that were there, how'd it play out?

What happend was that after someone said 85k he went on for close to 2 minutes asking for 90k and said sold after a very long pause. Right after the auctioneer said sold someone went and said 90k for there bid and the auctioneer said that he already said sold and had given plenty of time for anyone to speak up which was true. Anyways it was kinda disappointing but it kept things interesting the rest of the night :D

The argument was that he did not say "going once....going twice......." The auctioneer stalled at $85,000 and couldn't believe it was going to sell for so cheap....as opposed to how much it usually goes for. The auctioneer gave close to 2 minutes..........an awkward stall for an auction.........before selling the tag. There were several bidders in the crowd willing to go well over $100,000, but for some reason they were waiting to bid. I do believe most guys were waiting to hear the "going, going........" stuff, but they still had plenty of time. It is unfortunate that it could have raised more money, but this year isn't looking too great, and most of the high bidders knew that before the auction....so , who knows how truthfull the losing bidders are about "how much" they would have spent! JIM>

The argument was that he did not say "going once....going twice......." The auctioneer stalled at $85,000 and couldn't believe it was going to sell for so cheap....as opposed to how much it usually goes for. The auctioneer gave close to 2 minutes..........an awkward stall for an auction.........before selling the tag. There were several bidders in the crowd willing to go well over $100,000, but for some reason they were waiting to bid. I do believe most guys were waiting to hear the "going, going........" stuff, but they still had plenty of time. It is unfortunate that it could have raised more money, but this year isn't looking too great, and most of the high bidders knew that before the auction....so , who knows how truthfull the losing bidders are about "how much" they would have spent! JIM>

Jim don't say it isn't looking good this year!!! This is going to be the year of the big bulls :D

It may end up being a tough year to kill a 380+ bull in most of the good units........but there will always be some 300-350 type bulls runnin' around and that should be plenty big enough for anyone with a first time archery elk tag! You don't have to worry.......unless you plan on holding out for a 400 incher! If I had your tag.....I would hunt for a 400" bull.......and kill the first 330+ bull that steps out! BUT.... I don't have your tag....dammit.

It may end up being a tough year to kill a 380+ bull in most of the good units........but there will always be some 300-350 type bulls runnin' around and that should be plenty big enough for anyone with a first time archery elk tag! You don't have to worry.......unless you plan on holding out for a 400 incher! If I had your tag.....I would hunt for a 400" bull.......and kill the first 330+ bull that steps out! BUT.... I don't have your tag....dammit.

Thats the plan. Hunt for a 400 bull and shoot the first 330 plus bull that steps out. We will see how the scouting goes.