Sign in to follow this  
Huntin'AZ

Unit 23 Elk

Just found out that my dad, brother and I got drawn for the early bull hunt in 23 North. Needless to say we are all really excited about this opportunity. But we've never hunted in this area before. Any tips or information that you wouldn't mind sharing about this unit/hunt would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hunt low in the cedars. Buzzards Roost

A few years back it was believed the next world record would come from there.

That makes 6 people I know got 23 tags.

That was my 1st choice

Lucky!

Dan

There usually some good bulls along Canyon Creek, in the burn, during the rut. You have an awesome tag.

Hunt low in the cedars. Buzzards Roost

A few years back it was believed the next world record would come from there.

That makes 6 people I know got 23 tags.

That was my 1st choice

Lucky!

Dan

Buzzards Roost is in 23S..... Might not try hunting there with a 23N tag in your pocket..... ;) ....

Ahhh.... talk of the Legendary Monster...... :blink: :lol:

You guys are in for a Great hunt!!!! :D Congrats!! There are good bulls all over the unit....However, it is said that some really great bulls cross into unit 23 from the Res. each year for the rut.... :blink: .... But make sure you know where that line is...... or you might be sorry. ;) Good Luck.

Gino, your right I was thinking early bull was the archery didn't realize they had a rifle early bull in 23 this year.

23 Archery south is only been allowed a few times over the years. Thats what I didn't draw.

See what happens when you don't read the entire post.

I Feel like a dip shoot.

Still a dang good tag he has.

Dan

Thanks fellas. My brother and I will need to spend alot of time scouting. But it is good to have a reference point to start out with. We feel very fortunate to have drawn this hunt and want to make the most out of it.

Any favorite camping spots in the area?

Thanks fellas. My brother and I will need to spend alot of time scouting. But it is good to have a reference point to start out with. We feel very fortunate to have drawn this hunt and want to make the most out of it.

Any favorite camping spots in the area?

My favorite "camping" spot when I am in unit 23 is The Antler...... :lol: :lol: ... Good food, good drink, and good folks..... Young, AZ. ;) You can catch me there on a weekend night from time to time. :D

However, you might end up hunting a long way from there, depending on what your scouting turns up.... so that might be out of the question. Good Luck, anyhow.

Great Tag! I would not be afraid to be VERY picky on that hunt. It is a hunt of a lifetime and some huge bulls can be found if you look hard enough. Time to scout :)

You have an awesome tag there. I have spent a lot of time in 23. That was also my first choice this year. Send me a PM and I will give you some areas that the elk are thick in during the rut. I have had up to five bulls bugling around me a couple times. Unfortunately I have never had a rut tag for there. So I just get to watch them.

Congrats on a great tag or tags! Don't waist them on big bulls. Hold out for the bigest! :blink:

Lance

you guys are DOGS! how many points did you have? I put in for that hunt with 13 points and didn't get squat. congrats anyway. good luck. chris.

Congrats on a great tag or tags! Don't waist them on big bulls. Hold out for the bigest! :blink:

Lance

Considering that I have never bagged a bull elk before, that will be awfully tough. I just hope that if I get that opportunity to shoot one that I'll be able to hold the rifle steady!

you guys are DOGS! how many points did you have? I put in for that hunt with 13 points and didn't get squat. congrats anyway. good luck. chris.

Wow! 13 points! That is amazing. We were very fortunate this year, I believe my dad and brother each had 5 points, while I had 4.