Sign in to follow this  
MAVinWA

will I be too late?

Usually hunt the holiday season the last 3 years while visiting relatives in Gilbert AZ.

At this point in my life, late 50's, I finally have time to hunt more and in other states.

But 2015 my holiday hunt cut short by my father's passing away on 12/30. Had to fly to Seattle for funeral services etc. Lost the man that was my best hunting partner & mentor. My dad didn't hunt the last 9 years with me because of health problems.

so I lost the first 4 days of the January archery hunt. And wouldn't you know it, snow arrived in my chosen areas when I was gone. Cannot make it back for my original days this week, last day being Jan-8.

"hunted"/or rather scouted unit 24B and Unit 24A for several days prior & after Xmas holiday. Located deer in each unit, some nice bucks watched from a distance. I took Xmas day off for family/relatives holiday observances in Gilbert AZ.

I could make it back for a 4 day weekend Jan 15-18.

but is it too late for good rut activity?

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

they will be in prime! If you look when coues rut it actually runs all the way into February. Good luck!

+1 to what coues assassin said. Get out there; the bucks should still be chasing tail.

Good to hear that feedback as I am in the same situation with a family health issue. Hoping to get out within a week or so.

So sorry to hear of your loss. The deer will still be there and they should be in full swing, as others have said.

thanks for the quick feedback.

Already have the required license & tag in my pocket. Strange, Wal Mart couldn't sell me the 2015 license package but Sportsman Warehouse-Mesa did on 12/26/14.

non-res hunt lic $160 & OTC $300 deer tag: $460

(at least its good for the year, later maybe a long weekend Aug-Sept season and period around Xmas 2015)

gas for RT trip from Oceanside to 24B: $250

misc other costs: $150

Total: $860...whew!

Camping in the great AZ outdoors, spotting, stalking & sending an arrow downrange to a coues buck; priceless.

• Like 2

First off sorry to hear about your dad. Good luck and make sure you take lots of pictures.

Your last post reminds me of the Jeff Foxworthy skit where he breaks down how much it costs per pound for deer hunting. It is hilarious.

Sorry, to hear about your dad. As others have said, the bucks will still be chasing tail at that time. Good luck and don't forget to post a story for us!

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad one week before my son's junior elk hunt 2 years ago. That first hunt without him was the toughest one to date.