elk_slayer

Best time to start

You hit my favorite calling stands. I love calling off of hillsides and into thickly vegetated or rock-strewn drainages beneath me. For one, bears can use drainages as travel corridors; and two, they can find shady spots to bed down out of the sun. That being said, I have found more bedded bears on hillsides than I have in drainages. And third, your personal safety and visibility of incoming bears are greatly increased from an elevated position versus one from the bottom of a drainage.

However, I have no problem calling into a drainage from above and then moving into its bottom and calling again from ground level. One of the scariest stands I ever made took place following that exact pattern and had a beastly bear crashing downhill in what appeared to be a falling run through thick manzanita directly towards an 8th grade student I had brought with me that day!

Some people are not afraid of black bears, that is their choice. I choose to fear them when they come in on a full sprint while hand-calling and they have gravity in their favor! That is why I still always call from "above" first, before I set up stands "below."

In my opinion, its not worth calling water holes, as a thirsty bear will come in to water just as well as a hungry bear will come in to a call. One might as well just sit water and be just as effective. I also like to call off hillsides and drainages that bears are using to access water holes or feeding areas. Setting up stand in these locations allows you to catch bears some distance away from their destination while they are still actively moving and are less cautious about their surroundings, versus how they suspiciously act as they approach a watering source.

• Like 3

thanks Kidso, you answered a couple of questions I had for years. If I can pick your predator brain a little more. when do bears, ballpark speaking, become active after their winter slumber and when do they start responding to calling? I am thinking of doing a back pack hunt in 27 for the spring otc season and want to get the timing right.

That is an age old question I have still been trying to solve! It is particularly puzzling in our state because some bears do not even hibernate and many just go into a reduced state of activity, but still minimally forage in our mild winter temperatures. That being said, the earliest I personally have called a bear during a stand was the first week of May, but I have tried quite a bit during the "early OTC" bear hunts that open up in March. I feel that most of the bears that are out at that time are still minimally moving and grazing on new vegetative growth or leftover acorns from the previous fall and are not very interested in pursuing a meaty meal. However, that will not stop me from trying again this year! I just realize and accept the fact that the chance of success on that early bear hunt is painfully low, probably even lower than the success rate on late archery bull elk hunts. But, it is still fun to go out and practice one's calling skills while prepping for warmer days.

• Like 2

I got lucky and drew the spring archery hunt in 22 so I get to start May 1st. I'm already excited knowing I get to start scouting in March. David

How has your spring bear hunt in 22 been going?! Seeing any activity?

I got lucky and drew the spring archery hunt in 22 so I get to start May 1st. I'm already excited knowing I get to start scouting in March. David

That's kind of funny you ask today. I was out this morning and was working my way down to one that was in some thick brush. It took me about an hour to get to my spot to call. About the time I got there, the bear decided he was going to come up and meet me. Before I knew it he was right on top of me. I had some manzanita separating me and him. It had to only be about ten feet. I could hear his feet on the ground but just couldn't see through the thick brush. He winded me and took off. I have been watching bears since the beginning of April. There is one in particular I have my eye on if he would just cooperate. David

• Like 2

That's kind of funny you ask today. I was out this morning and was working my way down to one that was in some thick brush. It took me about an hour to get to my spot to call. About the time I got there, the bear decided he was going to come up and meet me. Before I knew it he was right on top of me. I had some manzanita separating me and him. It had to only be about ten feet. I could hear his feet on the ground but just couldn't see through the thick brush. He winded me and took off. I have been watching bears since the beginning of April. There is one in particular I have my eye on if he would just cooperate. David

Awesome man! That must have been a rush!

90% of the time i go out I find bear sign. Either scat or prints or broken oak branches. Amount of bears I have seen.. One. But then again this will be my first year buying a tag. Springs and creekbottoms in canyons are where i find most sign. Not much pears in my neck of the woods but the acorns seem to be a big thing for them. I would probably die getting a bear out of most of the areas i find sign in. areas away from cattle tanks and roads.

• Like 1

At least you will die with a smile on your face!

• Like 2