Sign in to follow this  
elkman

What are the best radios out there

I have been through a bunch of different radios in the past and have not been happy with any of them really. What are the best radios for signal and distance and not making unwanted noises.

I have a set of older Midlands. You can silence everything and set the call button to vibrate. If your buddy calls you, all you hear/feel is vibrate. Not sure if the newer versions can be totally silenced. The same buddy bought a similar Midland model a couple years ago and we could not figure out how to totally silence them, so he took them back. A few years ago I was going to buy the Midland "Bubba" radios because they had minimal features and could be silenced...but no vibrate feature. To me, this is an important feature, so I didn't buy them.

• Like 1

I use the Motorola Mag One, BPR40, VHF.

I also upgrade the antenna for more range. Use them for many applications. As you may know there is no great radio (without repeaters) that go great distance in broken, mountainous country.

Make sure you get the radios in 5 watt. Make sure you use the ear/mic attachments if in the woods.

I usually program a bunch of search and rescue channels for emergencies.

Check about laws governing these radios, there are only a few channels available to the public.

Having tried and used all the regular 6-36 mile radios that only go 1/4 mi I can attest that these are good. Again in the canyons and mountains it is still a crap shoot on distance. I have radioed as far as 50 miles with the mobile one in my truck.

BTW there are a bunch of Radius VHF radios for your truck or camper that are 25 watt and go alot further. So having one in your truck is not a bad idea. The guys in the field may not be able to call back to you but they will hear you in you are in the truck.

I have found the radios online the cheapest and use Creative Communications to work on them and program.

Make sure you get the Lithium Batteries and fast chargers.

Steve

• Like 1

If you have the midlands or Motorola regular handhelds get the ear bud/mic (that way you look like the secret service) it will mute everything and there won't be any external noise. This way you are also not fumbling with the radio at the wrong time and you won't inadvertently press the button that makes noise.

Also available on Ebay.

Make sure the pin configuration fits your particular radio.

motorola CP200. if you can get your hands on a set for a decent price. i gave up on buying the cheapies that break and get lost all the time.

• Like 1

i gave up on radios long ago....switched over to verizon service for cell phone and it works in some pretty suprising places. text messages are quieter than radios ALWAY sounding off at the wrong time too.

More D

• Like 1

I've had several radios over the years and none of them worked really well. I switched to a UHF radio (Vertex) and while they are a bit pricy, the range and clarity are amazing!