Bpursell

WTB 10 ga reloading kit

I am not a reloader, I normally just shoot factory rounds to hunt with and just have never had a need too. Yet, I have found myself having trouble finding heavy loads (buckshot 00) for my 10 gauge. So thought this might be a good time to learn. So, I was hoping for two things a) a 10 ga (capable of 12ga a bouns) loading kit/setup and B) any advice that is helpful in learning a new skill.

By the time you get all the stuff to load 10 ga shells you will have spent enough $$$ to just buy quite a bunch of loaded ammo...just a reloader (pretty much each gauge has its own press & although you can buy dies it is quite the process to change a press to another gauge) is $200 ish (mec jr or mk v) then you have wads, shot, powder, primers, hulls & some other stuff. then there is figuring out how to get it done ...Ive loaded shotgun shells for more than 30 years from 410 to 10 gauge.... buckshot is a little different than regular shot and its really not possible to load the same performance as most of the factory stuff. All that being said I enjoy rolling my own shot shells, I got started when stuff was cheap (the good 'ol days) & it is possible to get very good results. I could go on for an hour and probably not cover it all.

Good luck, Mark

• Like 1

It seems for buckshot loads you'd jyst be better off buying a 12 gauge to make a huge array of factory loads available to you. I just don't see reloading for buckshot being worth it. Not enough round count to ever recoup your money. If your shooting trap and skeet, which of course your not going to do with a 10 gauge, then shotgun reloading is "maybe" worth it. I load 12 and 20 gauge and there really is very little savings now with lead and powder prices so high. I just like loading my own. I have MEC size masters and at one time had the cheap lee load all which worked for me when I was a kid with no money.

• Like 1

It really is not a cost issue. (Not that I have money to waste). But, I have been in all the local shops and only a few have 10 ga shells and most of those only carry steel shot. I just thought this might be the time to look into reloading. I have a few different 12 ga (over/under, pumps, single shots etc...). I just prefer the 10ga. Maybe I will just order the 10ga buckshot online and start the reloading with something else. Mark if you want to go on for hours I would be more that happy to learn from an experienced loader. Thank you both for the input. Still interested in used equipment.

As mentioned from the above posts with the cost of components now, it is cheaper just to buy the factory stuff. Try BPI ballistic products incorporated, they are a total shotgun business. It's been a few years since I've delt with them but they used to be pretty good.