Sign in to follow this  
couesfreak23

Lightweight Tripods for coues hunting

Hi looking for some info and quality tripod/head that is light and compact but built tough to handle wind,spotting scope, ect that won't break the bank. I know outdoorsmans tripod/head are great but right now I don't have $700+ to spend on a set up like this. So if you got some experience with set ups that work great for you will appreciate to hear some info cons and pros. Thanks

I use a promaster 325t with a outdoorsmans pan head. I love it. Light weight and sturdy. Can use my big spotter with no problems.

Like Kaffer said above the Promaster is a great tripod. Amanda sells it right here in the CWT store. Unfortunately you can't get the Jim White head any more so I can't help you much there.

Slick tripod has been great for me. Can't go wrong, sturdy, light and reliable.

I use a Benro carbon fiber and a Jim White head. The head was more than the tripod, all together way less than $700. You can't get much lighter than a CF tripod and a Jim White head. I don't have any trouble with the wind and binos but for the spotter I still use the monfotto tank of a tripod I have had for ever. If you want a spotter to stay still you will have to go heavy and stay away from CF which transmits all the vibrations.

I use the vortex but it heavy. I just accept it because I like standing and Glassing more than sitting and the weight keeps it there in the wind. I used to do the cheaper lighter brands for years and can only use them sitting down. I've found out I like the standing better. Much easier on my back for those long Glassing periods. Vortex tripods are around 150-200 bones

How about lever locking legs vs twist lock legs anybody have cons/pros

I have both and they have different advantages. Twist type make no noises and won't get caught on anything, but they often slip after wear or if you don't tighten them down. Lever locks can be in the way but they are more reliable and probably faster.

I don't think it is a defining feature for me I eventually complain about either one for the reasons given. :D

I just picked this up on Amazon... smoking deal. I checked the store here first and when it was empty I looked on Amazon and it looks like they are getting rid of these, maybe for a new model.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1F86CM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It showed up today solid as a brick... A bit heavier than I like but i can glass standing now. :D

• Like 1