Step 1: The Action

There are so many fine custom actions out the there these days, this makes the choice of an action difficult at times.

My criteria for this build were as follows:

1) Model 700 footprint- This makes the purchasing of parts painless.

2) Multiple Bolt Faces- I am a huge fan of multi-caliber rifles! I feel using the same stock, action, trigger, and scope repeatedly leads to mastery of the rifle, even if it is a caliber that you rarely shoot, you still have familiarity with the set-up instantaneously when you get behind it.

3) Easy Barrel Swaps- No one wants to pull out an action wrench and barrel vise every time they want to swap barrels.

4) Tough Short Action w/ fine tolerances- Every caliber that I shoot will fit into a short action, but I wanted a rigid action that was master engineered.

post-4635-0-19733700-1424890858_thumb.jpg

The action that I found to fit my criteria was a Bighorn TL2 action. I purchased the action with a trimmed tang, to better fit stocks, the action was also a limited run by AJ which is threaded for savage pre-fit barrels. I also purchased a .223 and .308 bolt face, and I will soon be purchasing a short magnum bolt face. These actions are crafted with amazing precision and superb workmanship. More info to come.....

• Like 3

Step 2: The Stock

After selecting what action I would use, I moved on to choosing a stock. My criteria for selecting a stock were as follows:

1) Chassis System- I wanted a chassis system since I as going to be swapping barrels with some frequency, I wanted something that I could torque the same every time and get it to at or near the same zero.

2) Light Weight- This is CWT, I plan on using this rifle to carry up mountains and down nasty desert ravines....I have come to the realization that I personally do not like to tote a 20lb rifle.

3) Bottom Metal- While I will be hunting coues deer with this rifle, I will also use it to shoot precision rifle series matches. I like having a magazine for predator hunting as well.

post-4635-0-51846800-1424892206_thumb.jpg

The stock that I found to vest fit my criteria was the Manners MCS-T with the mini-chassis. The stock weighs in at 2.1lbs with the 90% carbon fill, and the mini chassis only adds 6.5 ounces, making this stock manageable yet highly functional.

• Like 3

Going to be a great thread! I'm looking forward to following it as you put everything together.

Step 3: The Trigger

Lately, I have really began to appreciate the trigger and the way that it affects my accuracy. Others may be able to get away with shooting a stock trigger and getting superb accuracy, but I am not one of those people. I have also become fond of the two stage triggers. I like these triggers for competition shooting as well as hunting. I have used Huber, Geissele, and the CG Jackson from Xtreme, of these triggers I like the Xtreme two stage trigger the best.

The Xtreme trigger has so many adjustments that it can accommodate most shooters preferences. I prefer the first stage of my pull to be provide a medium length of mild resistance. I like to get on a target, pull the first stage back and have enough and just sit on that until I get a shot, the second stage is only ounces away but the stages are clearly separate......if that make sense.

post-4635-0-76364800-1424894599_thumb.jpg

Just as I was setting up this build David Tubb came out with a new trigger, I have always found his products to be of the highest quality, so I took a chance and purchased his trigger. While the CG Xtreme trigger is almost enclosed in a housing, the Tubb trigger is open. I can see this being of benefit in that I will be able to visualize the adjustments I make. The openness may expose it more, but I will also be able to clean it easier, but time will tell and there will be reviews of this trigger to follow.

• Like 1

Dang that action is so clean! I can already tell this is going to be an amazing looking rifle!

Step 3: The Scope

I have shot everything from Simmons to Schmidt and Bender. I could give my preferences on scopes, the quality of glass, and the features that I like, but I will save some time and instead present my scope choice and my justification for the selection. I went with a March 5-32x52.

post-4635-0-81528200-1424895595_thumb.jpg

I have become a huge March scope fan-boy. They have some of the best glass and the highest magnification ratio. I really like Nightforce, the NXS 8-32 is such an awesome long range scope, but having the lowest magnification of 8X made close shots on critters difficult. The marches lowest magnification is 5X, while 3X magnification may not seem like much it has made an enormous difference for me. The top magnification is still 32x which is more than enough for......anything!

• Like 1

Step 4: The Accessories

I wanted my accessories to remain lightweight yet give me function. I went with:

Front Rail: Atlas BT17

post-4635-0-38701300-1424896352.jpg

Bipod: Atlas BT10

post-4635-0-59024000-1424896406_thumb.jpg

Scope Rings: Nightfoce Ultralight

post-4635-0-71103700-1424896456.jpg

Anti-cant Device: Nightforce Bubble Level

post-4635-0-59393100-1424896519.jpg

Magazines: Accuracy International in .223, .308, and WSM

post-4635-0-87927100-1424896655_thumb.jpg

post-4635-0-43344100-1424896672.jpg

Many more to be added shortly.........

Here is how the rig is looking right now. When I get a day off I will Cerakote it up!

post-4635-0-30542000-1424896758_thumb.jpg

I am proud of her form for being 4 years old!

• Like 3

Step 5: Barrels and Calibers

The HUGE benefit of having a rifle that is threaded for Savage pre-fits is that barrels are easy to come by and they are generally a fraction of the cost. The first barrel that I wanted was something to shoot varmints with and shoot at competitions. I also wanted to shoot something that was economical. The cheaper the brass, bullets, and less powder translates to me shooting more!

post-4635-0-11214400-1424898963.png

Barrel #1: McGowen 7 twist .223 bull barrel

This barrel is something that I have always wanted to mess with. This barrel was throated for the Berger 80gn bullets. An 80 gn Berger at 2850 fps in a .223 what more can you ask for?! I will also have this barrel threaded for suppressors which I should have stamps arriving for shortly! The rifle will wear the barrel the majority of the time.

Barrel #2: Savage 6.5 Creedmoor 8 twist fluted light varmint

I bought this barrel for a little over $100...it was just too cheap to pass up. It is a solid barrel and is light enough that I can use it as a beater barrel. It will be good to have available to shoot long range until my next barrel arrives :)

Barrel #3: Rock Creek 6.5 SAUM

This barrel is still in progress, I am still deciding on specs for it, I have the reamers I just need to make up my mind!

post-4635-0-75398200-1424898996_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And the price tag?

Not as much as I wanted to spend :)

Fricken awesome really enjoying all these rifle build threads. You guys have no idea how jealous I am.

I am doing a similar build with the same concepts as you.

Here is my list everything is ordered and on its way,

Shilen DGR action and base

Shilen SSS match 26" 6.5 creedmoor barrel

Shilen trigger

Manners T2 stock in Gap with MCS-DBM

Valdada Rings

Sightron Siii 6-24X50 FFP LRMOA scope.

I will start a thread as soon as Items start arriving tomorrow.

I have knoticed a lot of action manufactures are going to the floating bolt head or like design with savage threads for quick change. I love it really a good market to build. Have you seen the Mauserfield action.

Also I forgot to add the Tubb level and atlas bipod.

I was going to go with the PRS Atlas is there a reason you are going with the older model?