Looks good! I was set on a Mausingfield, I have talked quite a bit with Ted, the owner of ARC. The ONLY reason for not using that action was the cost to swap bolt heads. The Mausingfield does not use a similar floating bolt face so swapping Bolt faces runs $400 each. So using that action would have run me an extra $500 and that was just a little too steep when the bighorn will fit the bill fine.

• Like 2

The weight of the quick release on the PRS was my only reason to use the older model, I do not mine spending 20 seconds to screw in and off the bipod.

• Like 1

Step 3: The Scope

I have shot everything from Simmons to Schmidt and Bender. I could give my preferences on scopes, the quality of glass, and the features that I like, but I will save some time and instead present my scope choice and my justification for the selection. I went with a March 5-32x52.

attachicon.gifTact 5-32.jpg

I have become a huge March scope fan-boy. They have some of the best glass and the highest magnification ratio. I really like Nightforce, the NXS 8-32 is such an awesome long range scope, but having the lowest magnification of 8X made close shots on critters difficult. The marches lowest magnification is 5X, while 3X magnification may not seem like much it has made an enormous difference for me. The top magnification is still 32x which is more than enough for......anything!

I was also going to add that there is a good amount of weight difference between the NXS and the March. The March with its huge magnification ratio still only weighs 24.7oz. The Nightforce on the other between 34 and 39oz depending on the model selected. This weight difference is not huge, but it is something to consider in scope selection.

• Like 2

I have been considering the March line also. Looks to be in the S&B PMII range as far as cost. Looks like you went with the Long Range line, correct? What reticle did you order?

I went with MTR1 I think it is called

I am doing a similar build with the same concepts as you.

Here is my list everything is ordered and on its way,

Shilen DGR action and base

Shilen SSS match 26" 6.5 creedmoor barrel

Shilen trigger

Manners T2 stock in Gap with MCS-DBM

Valdada Rings

Sightron Siii 6-24X50 FFP LRMOA scope.

I will start a thread as soon as Items start arriving tomorrow.

I have knoticed a lot of action manufactures are going to the floating bolt head or like design with savage threads for quick change. I love it really a good market to build. Have you seen the Mauserfield action.

The Mauserfield looks awesome. Do you know the price range those be at?

They run $1600 with one boltface $400 for each additional

I can't justify that price when a factory savage action will shoot 1/2 moa with a good barrel and load development. The action is obviously well designed and thought out though.

• Like 2

Thats why I went with the Shilen. I like all the gizmos on the mauserfield though.

The last component of my rifle arrived yesterday....or the stamps for them did! The barrels will be threaded this week.

IMG_3959_zpsx1mpnx5f.jpg

• Like 2

28378F0A-80CD-4A66-AFC2-EDAB63D3A63A_zps

She shoots too! Zero load development off a bipod....

• Like 1

Can you get one without a door knob for a bolt hanlde?

Can you get one without a door knob for a bolt hanlde?

Yep....but I like it!

What caliber were you shooting to get that group? Distance?