CouesWhitetail

Sandhill Cranes at Whitewater Draw

My husband and I went down to Whitewater Draw to see the thousands and thousands of Sandhill Cranes that winter there. It was a great experience! We got there after dark and could hear thousands of cranes calling out in the water.

You can camp there at whitewater draw for free, or you can do like we did and go stay at the historic Gadsden hotel in Douglas.

I didn't take many photos of the cranes, but a friend of mine took some excellent photos and here is a link to her photogallery

http://www.pegcoleman.com/Nature/Sandhill-Cranes-of-White-Water/

The cranes usually stay until mid-march, so if you want to experience them, you should go now!

here is a link to a video of the cranes calling at night that I posted on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204624875075516&pnref=story

The cranes sleep out in the water at night, and then lift off in the predawn to go forage in surrounding fields. Then they seem to come back around 10 am and if you can be there then you can see the sky full of waves of cranes. It's very impressive! Well worth the drive. If you use your binos to scan the sky in the distance you can see black waves that are hundreds of birds coming back to the wetland. They look like giant swarms of bees when they are far away.

here is info on the AGFD website about whitewater draw

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/wildlife_area_whitewater.shtml

I attached some pics from the Gadsden hotel lobby....neat place! The restaurant is pretty good too.

post-1-0-68010800-1425577939_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-91125000-1425577951_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-88854900-1425577960_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-48807900-1425577973_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-25871900-1425577982_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Great pictures and something I would like to take in. Thanks for sharing Amanda. :)

TJ

• Like 1

I have a lot of family that lives in Douglas/Bisbee. My Grandad worked for Phelps Dodge as the foreman in the smelter in Douglas. He ate breakfast at the Gadsden Hotel 3 times a week for over 30 years. Everyone knew him there. It brings a tear to my eye to see photos of the place. Thank you. Great memories of it.

Did you know Lee Marvin got into a bar fight with a Douglas local in the Saddle & Spur Tavern?

• Like 1

Great Amanda! Axel took us to Whitewater Draw a couple of weeks ago. What a neat sight to see. We were there at about 10:30 and watched the return of thousands of the birds over the next hour or two. Quite amazing. Plenty of other birds and critters as well. We watched an Arizona Cotton Rat searching for something good at the waters edge. And hooted with the Great Horned Owl that stays in the barn. And had the fortune to talk with (but mostly listen to) Sheri Williamson. What a nice day.

• Like 1