Sign in to follow this  
Dick

Game and Fish Meeting Results

Thanks to everyone that showed up at the Hunt Set Meeting today in Glendale. Although it was not easy and it got debated for quite awhile the results for archery hunters was favorable in the end.

Archery Deer- August 24th through Sept 13th.

Turkey will run at the same time.

Thanks again for all the support.

Nice meeting you Dick, I wonder if thre turnout is what had them flustered. I wish we would have had a few hundred there, but then nothing would have gotten done because some of them seemed really confused.

You are right, good thing they have ability to edit on this site.

It was nice meeting you also and I am in total agreement, there was a lot of confusion. I am not sure they knew what they were voting on at times! There was a lot to consider with the Kaiba issues, number of doe tags and all.

Dick did it seem to you that commissioner Martin was siding with the hunters, I was sure she would be with herndrode and mclean on every issue, I was pleasantly surprised by her on the deer issues.

Does anyone know what happened with the lion season, did the houndsmen get their proposal.

Today was the first time I have attended a meeting where official business was voted on. I have only attended informational meetings in the past. My take on the whole event was that of a three ring circus. I have always been told that the Dept. managers and staff were working in our best interests, and that the commisioners always had their own agendas. Well to me I saw 4 commisioners who was trying to listen to the public input from the hunters, one commisioner that didn't give a dang about the response from the public, (Hernbrode), and then I saw Leanard and his staff trying to ram a whole bunch of crap down our throats. Even after all of the negative public input since the posting of the proposed changes. I have a whole new take on what is going on. Hernbrode didn't give a damned about any of the people and hunters who spoke at the meeting and their views. He didn't think that the hundreds of negative e-mail and phone calls was enough to make the changes. I saw the rest of the commisioners actually listening and responding to the hunters concernes. The commissioners only have Leonard and his staff to make recomondations on these matters and Even after all of the negative feedback Leonard still made his origonal recomendations. Chaiman Golightly has no idea how to handle a fomal meeting and looked confused through the whole process, but at least he tried to understand the hunters take on the issues. I think Arizona is in big trouble in the future. The Dept. only objective looks to be that of adding as many permits as possible while moving hunts to times that will insure low success.

Thanks to all that went and spoke to get the changes. I wish I could have been there but had some problems this morning that needed to be resolved.

Also instead of 800 tags for antlerless deer tags on kaibab it is now down to 400.

I too thought that it was run very poorly and also agree with your read on the commission and how confused they were. I am happy of the outcome but after sitting through the process I think it could go either way with out any real means. I could not believe that the majority of the time they didn't ever know what they were voting on.

I do feel that Martin listen to the public and any other information that was presented and tended to lean towards the common sense side of things.

I also believe that Leonard did a good job of notifiying the commission that there was a ton of public outcry even though he did not reccomend a change to the proposed regs.

Dick thank you for speaking this morning and even though the commission tried to get you to hurry up you did a very good job bringing up your points.

Phil Cramer

I was glad they were prepared for the archery overlap change and had the alternatives already on the overhead so that they could show the commissioners what they could do if directed. To me commissioner hernbrode had the aproach that you asked for it and you are going to get it, I will show you, commissioner mclean even mentioned that himself, thank goodness level heads prevailed.

Commissioner Melton will surely be missed, I doubt he reads these forums, but if he does I want to thank him for all he has done over the years for Arizona hunters and wildlife.

I also heard that from the meeting that G&F is going to have a 3 month window with no lion hunting aloud. Is this true? I also heard that the people who fought for the 3 month window said they are going to push for a 6 month at the next meeting.

Thanks to all that attended! I like the results for the most part, and really appreciate you guys that stand up and speak for hunting in Arizona!

I also heard that from the meeting that G&F is going to have a 3 month window with no lion hunting aloud. Is this true? I also heard that the people who fought for the 3 month window said they are going to push for a 6 month at the next meeting.

I saw the same thing, and it's scary that Arizona is going to cut three months off lion season. First it started with no harvesting lions with kittens, now they are starting to take the season away. Right now California is having serious problems with an over population of lions, and if Arizona wants to head in that direction our big game are in serious trouble...

Thanks to all that attended! I like the results for the most part, and really appreciate you guys that stand up and speak for hunting in Arizona!

I saw the same thing, and it's scary that Arizona is going to cut three months off lion season. First it started with no harvesting lions with kittens, now they are starting to take the season away. Right now California is having serious problems with an over population of lions, and if Arizona wants to head in that direction our big game are in serious trouble...

I don't know if that went through because I left before that, but the proposal was put forward by houndsmen. Amanda posted somewhere on here the reason for the proposal, the houndsmen wanted to ensure lion hunting in the future, plus they wanted to close the season when the kittens are most vulnerable, this was done to stop the chance of seeing a couple of kittens that were orphaned due to the mother being killed. The proposal in its initial form would still have the units that have harvest objectives due to bighorn and I think antelope predation would still be open. I don't know if there are any houndsmen on here that know more than what I have heard, I do know that I would not want to give up anything without being forced too. One other thing I heard was that the lions taken during that time of year was very low.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...amp;#entry61811

Amanda's post was number 33 that included a letter and description of the proposal.

Keith, I was informed about the lion closure on another site.

Here's a quote from Marvin Zeiser who attended the afternoon portion.

The anti-hunters were successful in getting the lion hunts closed statewide (with a few minor exceptions) for three months each summer. They were honest, however, and told the Commission that next year they were coming back to ask for a 6 month closure....

I think you hit our problem right on the head. I noticed something about the people in the Dept. Durring the awards presentation a whole lot of them were hired right out of school from California. The California wave is coming. I know our own WM in the Globe area was hired from Oregon. Never hunted, and didn't even know the area when she arrived. She seems like a descent person, but my problem is why not recruit and hire people from our own state. I am sure their are a lot of tree hugger attitudes coming along with these new recruits.

Thats all we need is a bunch of people who's political views screwed up their state to the point they want to leave it so they come over here and make the same ridiculous decisions expecting different results. :blink: