Sign in to follow this  
Flash

257 Weatherby Magnum

Well, I'm close to purchasing a new rifle and the 257 Weatherby Magnum will probablly be the way I go. The only reason I'm still a little undecided is because of the cost of ammo. Does anyone out there have a good source for discounted ammo. I don't reload so I'm stuck to purchasing factory ammo. On that same note, what bullet/grain do you recommend using?

First awesome caliber, I bought one last year and it is my favorite rifle hands down. But there is no such thing as cheap ammo so you should really try to reload for it. AG

id look at a 110 accubond or a 100 TSX. i would really invest in reloading, bite the bullet and get set up! ad $50/60 bucks a box it wont take long for reloading to pay for itself!

I have shot this gun for around 8 years and the best ammo pricing I found was through DNR sports. Basically you are limited on the selection of factory ammo, I use the 115 ballistic tips. I pay somewhere around 35.00 a box for them. Sportsmens warehouse carry's a decent supply and sometimes they have a sale, but you are pretty much stuck with expensive ammo unless you reload like others have said.............I figure I am not shooting more than 3 boxes a year so other than the initial sticker shock of the price of ammo, I just spend the money and love the gun............Allen Taylor.........

I have owned a 257 whtby on a winchester action for 15 years. I have bought and sold other guns, because this is the best coues medicine you can shoot. My gun shoots the 117 gr sierra flatbase under 1/2 all day. I killed my desert sheep at 475 and this year I could not get myself to use nothing else but my whtby for my raffle tag buck.

Sierra bullets are inexpensive and work very well even on caribou.Good luck and you wont be sorry for buying the rifle.