Had a similar experience last Sept. during the archery deer hunt. Walked right up w/in about 3 ft of an ill tempered Mojave rattler before he started buzzing. I "encouraged" him to move away with a few tossed stones, but he refused to abandon his perch along side the hiking trail. Had no choice but to charm him w/ a broadhead.

You should have picked him up you chicken. David

:lol: :lol: Dude......I grew out of that "picken' em up" phase as soon as I got bit! I paid the price too....and almost paid the price "in full" ! I still think they are cool critters, but I for dam sure don't pick em' up anymore!!! I'm headin' back out there right now to try and find some "flop-ears".....I'll probably find another snake in the process......I'll get pic's if I do. JIM>

Hey Jim,

Found this tonight and of course thought of you! Unlike yours, this one was rattling up a storm! He was about 4 ft long. Glad I didn't step too close to him!

Amanda

post-1-1177728520.jpg

post-1-1177728540.jpg

Hey Amanda...Those are awesome pic's! Amazing how well they blend in.......I think it's one of the things that makes them so neat! I haven't seen a good sized one like that in a while.....around here they don't live long enough to get big! I found another one this evening.....I'll get pics up soon. JIM>

grandpa nearly stepped one about 8 years ago that dang near gave him a heart attack! good thing he had the old trusty .45!!!

I've come to realize, that either....... I sit and watch my wife do homework......or I sit and stare at this computer.....or I go play with snakes.......Hhmmmm....I should have chosen either of the first two choices, but it's not as fun! Didn't make it out in time to glass anything up, but found another snake on the way out. This one is a prime example that Mohave's are not always green! Very poisonous sucker and usually really aggressive. This Mohave wasn't to upset with me and was pretty small, but pretty neat nonetheless! You can tell it's a Mohave by the tail...notice the rings are thinner, the white is more of a grey and the rings don't all connect completely around if you compare it to the first two snakes in this thread which are Western Diamondbacks. Thanks, JIM>

Here of course is the "As It Lay" pic........

z123.jpg

And here are the "Pissssssed Off" pic's.....

z126.jpg

z124.jpg

z125.jpg