Sign in to follow this  
AZ8

Smoked quail

Since this was my last batch of quail from this season, decided to smoke them using hickory. Low temperature smoke for approximately 1.5-2 hours, then rest for 15 minutes.

I keep my recipes simple. Coat with a little olive oil, some salt, pepper and garlic. I was not disappointed.

Incredible!

post-8895-0-16331200-1427672279_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nope. Very moist. Trick is to pull it while it's still medium rare, cover and then let it rest.

• Like 1

Sounds good. I always wrap in bacon and green chile the deep fry or grilll and is awesome. I will try and smoke next time

• Like 1

Glad to see you eat ALL the quail. I hate when people just breast them out and throw away the rest. Looks GREAT!!! :lol:

• Like 1

Looks scrumptious!

Another trick is to broil the birds in herb butter then finish with a quick smoke.

You can control the doneness a little better this way, but you wont get a deep penetrating smoke.

I learnt this trick from an Asian chef who smoked duck with jasmine tea in a wok. been using it ever since.

• Like 3

a brine I like with fish and birds is 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 Tblspns kosher salt, then a little minced garlic and minced onion, enough water to cover, usually about 2 cups, brine overnight then smoke however long is necessary. This is for smaller batches, adjust as necessary if you are doing bigger batches.

• Like 2